Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: creating instances from forestpro object  (Read 4048 times)

MQ4267

creating instances from forestpro object
« on: January 23, 2018, 08:53:34 PM »
hello!  i just happened to find something, maybe you guys can confirm on your end and decide whether or not it's something that can or ought to be changed?

i created forest object on a surface, then added camera viability limit to.  then i ended up needing to convert that object to instances.  so, that seemed to work but then the density of the instanced objects fell way down for that particular camera view - and that was the only camera attached to that object.

i confirmed that the camera visibility limit was working, in the top viewport i could see the change in objects which coincided with the camera movement.  my need was to then "freeze" it where the camera was pointing, then convert all of those currently visible objects to instances. well, it looks like it spread out the distribution distances over the whole surface and not just where the camera was looking.

does that make sense?

thanks!

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: creating instances from forestpro object
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »
Hi,

Are you exporting the distributed geometry into instances by using the Forest Tools feature (it'll perform much better than using the Convert to Editable Mesh)? You can find it under Utilities - More ... - Forest Tools. For more information about it, please feel free to check our on-line reference guide.

Would you mind to specify your actual software configuration (3ds Max / FP / renderer versions?

If the problem persists, please feel free to send us your scene and we'll check it here.

Best regards,

MQ4267

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:10:20 PM »
yes, using the forest tool to convert to instances.  3ds max 2017, latest updates, forest 5.4.1.    i'll go ahead and make a scene and if it happens i'll send it to you.  thanks for reply!

MQ4267

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 04:09:26 PM »
hello. i tested this two more times, once in 2017 and once in 2018.  it did in fact work the way i expected - that is, when i had camera visibility limited, then converted to instances, it worked.  not sure why it didn't work with that one particular scene.  i wonder if it had to do with a limit # of polys or limit # of objects and i just missed that setting.  anyway, it is working. thanks!