Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Replace surfaces in FP without having to reattach to FP object?  (Read 1164 times)

JL4017

Hi
I'm working on a project where we have a large number of terrain tiles which we use as the surface. Ie. DTM_01 to DTM_99.
Another colleague has updated the terrain tiles and I  need to merge them back in to my scene.
The tiles have the same name but when I merge them back in and replace the tiles in my scene,  the FP object does not detect the new tiles,  I have to detach and reattach them.  This can be very time consuming in a large model. 

Is there a way around this problem please?

Thanks in advance

Neil

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Replace surfaces in FP without having to reattach to FP object?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:06:07 AM »
Hi Neil,

As the name of those surfaces doesn't change I would suggest you to Import - Replace them (instead of Import - Merge). This way there is no need to perform any reassignment in the Forest object(s). To see that change in the view-port, please click on Update surfaces data button or mark the Auto check-box (to Update surface data automatically).

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

JL4017

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 03:51:33 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for this! it works great for the terrain tiles (Geometry). 

Do you know how i can do the same thing with the splines which i use for FP areas? 

When i use replace, it will replace them, but they appear in a different location.  it must be a way the 'replace' function works in Max.  I've tried to set  the pivot point on both objects to 0,0 but this didn't work.

any ideas?

Thanks

Neil

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 04:43:11 PM »
Hi Neil,
"... they appear in a different location"
That's strange, when you replace an object in your scene, you replace its geometry, including its modifiers, but not its transforms, space warps, hierarchy, or materials. Also, upon our internal tests all seems to behave that way (transforms aren't replaced).
"I've tried to set  the pivot point on both objects to 0,0 but this didn't work."
As mentioned above, transform values isn't involved in the process.

Best regards,

JL4017

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 01:08:41 PM »
ok, thanks...

Sorry, i don't think I've explained myself very well....

The only way I can suss out how to get the splines to replace in the correct location is if the objects have the same bounding box.... ie. i draw some additional small rectangles at the extremities of the objects, and attach them to both splines. 

This way the splines have the same bounding box and the replace function works the way I need it to.

see images attached...