Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Point cloud shaded using Color ID displays in wrong color space  (Read 2033 times)

Rawalanche

• My portfolio
Point cloud shaded using Color ID displays in wrong color space
« on: February 18, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »
When a Forest is displayed in point cloud mode, and Shade mode has enabled "Use Color ID", the point cloud color is displayed in wrong Color Space. If you select for example darker green color for your geometry Color ID, that Color becomes pretty much black in viewport. It seems that Forest displays linear color while 3ds Max by default works in sRGB. Geometry display mode displays Color IDs just fine.

It would be good to get this fixed.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Point cloud shaded using Color ID displays in wrong color space
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:21:18 AM »
HI,

Thanks for bringing this to attention. I've passed it on to our development team.

All the best,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Rawalanche

• My portfolio
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 12:27:49 PM »
Hi, just letting you know the bug is still present in latest beta.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 10:16:44 AM »
Hi, i'm checking this issue: problem is not really the space color, but we were applying a small amount of tint, to display items slightly different. This would help to distinguish them better on viewport.
This was introduced on first versions of point-cloud, when all dots were of same color. Now it should not be necessary, because dots are shaded according to the geometry. So, i removed it.

You can find attached a sample of the new color scheme. It will be included on next release.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Rawalanche

• My portfolio
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:52:03 AM »
Hello,

I've just tried ForestPack 5.3.0 and you still have not fixed it. I am really perplexed you are having hard time solving such a trivial issue. Obviously, you need to test the case on darker colors, as I described in my original post, because colors with value and saturation set to full 255 won't show affection by gamma correction.

Here's a screenshot made with ForestPack 5.3.0

On the top right corner of the viewport are two rectangles. Right one is color sampled from the geometry rollout. Left one is Color sampled from the viewport. Square above the two rectangle is color sampled from the geometry rollout with gamma 0.455 (1/2.2) applied - and of course, it matches the left color. It's really a bug where you do not take color management into account. The "Shade" option in display rollout is turned off (slider all the way to the left).

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »
You're completely right. Both problems were present here, the tint and gamma issue.

I've reopened the bug for checking. Anyway, at a first glance the fix is not trivial, because color ID is handled in different parts of the code with or without gamma correction, depending of the operation.
We must also be sure the fix works with all Max versions (some changes were introduced in latest releases).

Apologies by that.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Rawalanche

• My portfolio
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »
Oh, I apologize then for venting my frustration. It's just that whenever I have to resort to ForestPack on any project, it never goes smoothly. But I do understand that it may not be trivial as it seems. I would suggest deriving the color management for all ForestPack color swatches from the state of Gamma spinner value present in preferences under Gamma and LUT tab. I don't know if it's easy to access from the SDK though.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 04:29:30 PM »
Yes, that's the idea. In fact there is a function in the SDK to convert colors according to the current gamma settings.

It's just that the color ID is handled from different functions (as color picker, point-cloud, mapping color ID, clusters, etc), so we must be sure the value is not wrongly converted in some step.
Nothing critical, but we should check all these functions carefully, to not break anything else.

Thanks for your understanding.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software