Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: XREF scene containing FP crashes Max 2011  (Read 5743 times)

PixelJockey

XREF scene containing FP crashes Max 2011
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:30:36 AM »
If the FP system is in the scene I am rendering (Vray 2 SP1) I don't have any problems. Everything works great!

I seem to have consistent problems using XREF scenes containing the FP systems. I usually have my site and building files in separate file then XREF them into a master file for lighting and rendering. I can render the site files with FP grass, trees etc without a problem. If I XREF the site file and try to render, Max sort of hangs. Hard to describe exactly. I can save and close the rendered Vray frame buffer, but I cannot interact with Max in any other way. I have waited 15 minutes for Max to come back to life,  but I end up killing the Max process and relaunching the APP. This happens with various files with FP systems.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: XREF scene containing FP crashes Max 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »

Are the lockups random or is it a reproducible issue ?  If possible, please create a test scene deleting non-essential objects and send it to support@itoosoft.com. If the files are too big, i can provide you a ftp site to upload it.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

PixelJockey

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:26:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply Carlos. When I complete my current project deadlines I'll set up a test scene.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:51:44 PM »

What Forest version do you use ?

I want to send you a custom build which may help us to solve this issue. It includes additional checkpoints handling xrefs.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

PixelJockey

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »
Max Design 2011 SP1
Vray 2 SP1
Forest Pro 3.4.1

Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Intel Q9300
8GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 280

I was able to reproduce the problem with a simple scene using basic Max primitives. I sent the file to the support email address.

Thanks in advance for you help.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »

Ok, we have found the problem.

It seems a bug of VRay which is not calling in the external plugins, to a specific funtion that must be invoked when render ends. Without this function, the plugins may have unpredectible results, as it happens in Forest. We just reported this issue to the ChaosGroup team:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbulletin/showthread.php?54380-RenderEnd-and-XRefs&p=457421#post457421

We are working on a workaround for this issue, it should be ready in a couple of days. We want see also the reply of ChaosGroup.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 10:20:03 PM »

Please, try the attached DLL and tell me if it works.

You must copy it in the Max root folder, overwriting the old ForestVRay20.dll. This patch is exclusively for Forest 3.4.1, Max 2011 64 bit, VRay 2.0 (or SP1).

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

PixelJockey

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 10:36:50 PM »
Huzzah! Works for me! Also tried it with DR and that too works just fine. Thanks IToo.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 05:59:40 PM »

Great ;).  We just included the workaround for the next Forest release.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software