Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Popping Planting  (Read 659 times)

iCreateLtd

Popping Planting
« on: April 06, 2021, 04:36:46 PM »
Hi.

I have an issue with a job that I had in the past and never figured it out.  This is happening with the first 2 shots of this job so don't want to go any further as I have another 12 to render and don't want this on others.

Can you take a look at these 2 videos please?

On one you can see it popping through the gate.... the other is more noticeable.

https://we.tl/t-TpGofKyo3o

Thanks

Rokas

Re: Popping Planting
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 08:17:32 AM »
Hi,

Are you using the Camera - Distance Falloff - Density/Scale feature? As mentioned in our on-line reference guide:

"Be careful if you use falloffs with camera motion, because items may appear or disappear suddenly (the distance to camera changes when moving)."

Also, I would suggest you to double check settings of the Limit to visibility feature - raising the Expand / Back Offset value(s) might prevent that behaviour. Please have a look at the Camera section of our on-line reference guide for more detailed information.
Also one workaround is to "bake" distribution by setting ForestPack to Custom Edit mode.
(Before converting to it, make sure You have as dense distribution in viewport, as You expect to have it at rendertime).

Anyway, feel free to send us your scene to analyse it here. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Rokas

iCreateLtd

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 08:56:43 AM »
Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I'm aware I'm not using any falloffs.  Also, limit to visibility is probably on(and back offset should be at default value of 10).  However, the plant is in front of the camera so don't see how it can be that.

I'll try to render the planting on its own.  Hopefully it'll have the same issue.  If it does I can then test setting it to custom edit or send it to you...... because the scene is pretty heavy.

Thanks

link3d

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 04:41:10 PM »
we also had the "plopping plants" with animations. but after using full distribution map, null objects, avoiding distance falloff, switching to custom edit they were gone.
but now (since 709) we are fighting a camera clipping problem when backburner network rendering.
matthias

EG4043

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 04:44:45 PM »
I think i have found out what the bug is with FP7's popping.

Two things:  If you use another forest object as an exclusion area, it is buggy and will pop in and out all the time.  Just don't use this for animation would be my work around.

and this memo gave me a clue for another issue:

"In Forest Pack 7 and above, it is no longer necessary to manually select the camera used for culling. Instead Forest Pack will automatically uses the last camera view from the viewport or render. This does not include non-camera views such as perspective and orthographic cameras, if you switch to one of these views, then the last used camera view is retained."

If you have another camera than the camera you want to render up when you send the render via batch, it will render the wrong culling.  This used to work fine in fp6 but now you need to make sure you have the correct camera up before sending jobs from batch to a the local machine.  At least I THINK this is the problem.

link3d

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 04:57:56 PM »
eg4043, we had the "very very few trees are plopping in animation" for some years now,this one is not related to the new 7.0 camera clipping code

EG4043

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 06:02:49 PM »
Hmm this did not actually fix shit.