Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: System environment variable for Effects library not working  (Read 1303 times)

Hayes Davidson

System environment variable for Effects library not working
« on: January 20, 2021, 01:41:27 PM »
Hi iToo

Hoping you can help.  Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but I've checked the documentation and forum but couldn't find an answer.

It's been recently brought to my attention that the Effects library isn't populated with the presets that ship with FP Pro.  We're using system environment variables to push out the correct path to all workstations.  I've double checked the paths and everything seems to be set correctly as per the documentation.  I've attached screen grabs to show this.

Could someone please advise on how this can be resolved?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:00:32 PM by Hayes Davidson »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: System environment variable for Effects library not working
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 11:03:50 AM »
Hi, we tested it on several computers and seems to work correctly, both using local or UNC paths. I cannot find any error in your environment variables either.
A limitation is that only can be defined the System Effects path, but not the User's Effects (we read a single value from the variable), but that should not be a problem in your case.

Please, would you test if there is any difference setting a local folder, instead a UNC path ?
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Hayes Davidson

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 11:40:12 AM »
Hi Carlos

Thanks very much for the reply and checking this out for me.

Upon further investigation I noted that there were some legacy registry entries pointing forest pack directories to old mapped drives.  Updating these paths has resolved the issue with the effects library showing up.  I note this as I believe that the documentation states that the environment variables should take precedent over registry entries, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.  No idea if this is isolated to us, so might be something worth checking?

Thanks

Dan

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 12:24:15 PM »
Hi David,

Yes, as general rule environment variables take precedent over registry.
But checking the code, we noticed Effects was slightly different, and HKLM value is read before its envar. Instead Effect path from HKCU is read correctly (after envar). We'll try to fix it.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software