Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Preview - Mesh to Editable poly - UVW map problem  (Read 1302 times)

Tomas

Preview - Mesh to Editable poly - UVW map problem
« on: April 26, 2017, 01:56:49 AM »
Hallo,
I have a small problem to detach all my UVW from forest pack.
Ok, I created a box object and uvwraped it to nice flatten UVW - better for baking lights.  Then I created FP with this box object. There are 500 boxes in FP. I used display option - MESH and converted it to Editable poly.
After that, I wanted to pack all UVW flattened boxes in one map but there is a problem. In uvw editor is visible just one uvw plate of box. When I select it, I select all faces of ALL boxes in the scene. The problem is there are no seams on the UVW plate of each object.
So all 500 boxes have one instance UVW without seams.
The only one option is detach all elements to new mesh under editable poly or under the UVW editor. For detaching elements under EP are some scripts, but I run sometimes out of memory and also it is time composition. (my real scene has more complex geometry and few thousands of copies....)
Any solutions/suggestions to prevent FP to work with UVW right way?
I understand this is not usual way how to manage FP, but it seems to me I am using FP more and more often this unusual ways :)
Thank you

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Preview - Mesh to Editable poly - UVW map problem
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »
Hi,

I would suggest you a slightly different way - to use the Forest Tools utility to instantiate all items. This way, the mapping will not be affected in any way. Then you can apply the Edit Poly modifier with the Edit Geometry - Preserve UVs option marked, select of all these object and perform the Make unique operation. Within the Edit Poly modifier you can Attach all these objects and by adding the Unwrap UVW you can pack them accordingly.

Hope that helps. Attaching a sample scene, hope you'll find it useful.

Best regards,

Tomas

Re: Preview - Mesh to Editable poly - UVW map problem
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 09:46:46 AM »
Thanks, this works very well!