Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: mirroring question  (Read 3611 times)

simmsimaging

mirroring question
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:10:26 AM »
In the Transform panel: the "enable horizontal mirroring" option seems to flip *all* instances of an object. Is it possible to add an option to have it flip some at random, perhaps give some control over it with a spinner for percentage?  It would be very useful to add more variation within an FPP object, but I need a bit more control over it....

b

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: mirroring question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »

Currently it works flipping 50% of items. We will look if it is possible to add a percentage to it:

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

simmsimaging

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 04:58:09 PM »
Great - thanks!

Pierre

• Studiosezz
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 02:23:11 PM »
Hello,
is it possible to flip manualy one plane? I'm working on custom Edit mode.
Thank you.
Pierre
Studiosezz PARIS
www.studiosezz.com

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:41:31 PM »

No sorry, it's not possible. The mirroring state is not stored as an persistent property with each item, it is computed dinamically when the object is rebuild.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

simmsimaging

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 11:39:23 PM »
In the same vein as having a percentage control for mirroring, I was wondering about ways to create finer grained control for other transforms. I'm creating a crowd of spectators in a stadium and, as an example, I want the majority of bodies to have random rotation within about 30 degrees - enough that htey look a bit different, but so that they are all still mostly looking forward. However, I would *love* to be able to set 5-10% of them to rotate 180 degrees so the overall crowd is much more natural.  Same with the other transforms too.

I understand that I can position some by hand, but it would still be hundreds in this case, maybe more, and any quick changes etc become really cumbersome.

I also know I could do this with multiple FPP objects, but this also gets cumbersome for making quality/quantity changes to the overall crowd.

It's something that is really missing from all the various scattering tools I have tried - kind of like a two-tier randomization thing - that would be very powerful.

Any chance this could be incorporated?

/b

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 10:34:28 AM »

Perhaps we would add a control curve for the random transformations. I'm not sure it is possible, but it add it the wishlist.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

simmsimaging

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:41:23 PM »
Thanks Carlos (and for considering the other requests too).

I am not a programmer so am not aware of the actual complexities, but I was wondering if it might be simple to just have a second transform rollout that has an added spinner for percentage and otherwise just internally replicates all the other FPP settings? The spinner would define a group of objects that would actually be *added* to the main set though.

My thought was that it might be simpler to just run the exact same process you already have in place in FPP, just have it "internally" run it twice with the only variant being the transform settings? Then it would not really be paring off a sub-set of the main group, but almost like actually embedding a second FPP object inside the first.

Anyway, I don't really know - just thought maybe that would be easier rather than having to fabricate a totally new bit of math or modify the existing process too much.

/b

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 05:51:28 PM »

Unfortunately would be more difficult to modify the interface to add this behaviour, that adding a curve control. Anyways, i will think on it.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software