Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Grass changes position between frames  (Read 343 times)

blinq

Grass changes position between frames
« on: February 16, 2023, 03:03:01 PM »
Hi, I have a problem with grass in Forest Pack. It looks like it is changing positions between frames of the animation. Here is an example:
https://youtu.be/oOrOuOyOicE
I was doing the grass with this tutorial:
https://www.itoosoft.com/tutorials/grass-edges
I'm rendering in newest Vray GPU on 3ds Max 2023.
The trees, bushes are ok - it's just the grass.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 03:05:51 PM by blinq »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Grass changes position between frames
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 03:06:39 PM »
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you're facing these troubles. Might be, you are using the Camera > Distance Falloff feature? When rendering "walk-through" animations, this feature shouldn't be used to prevent any kind of trouble. As mentioned in our online documentation: "Be careful if you use falloffs with camera motion, because items may appear or disappear suddenly (the distance to the camera changes when moving)."

If so, disabling it should fix it. If that's not the case, I would suggest you try to switch to the Custom Edit mode to see if there is any difference. Optionally, please feel free to do a quick test using Forest Tools and export all scattered geometry to instances. You can find it under Utilities - More ... - Forest Tools. This way you can check whether the problem happens during Forest object conversion or not.

Thanks in advance for any further comments on this issue you can share with us.

Best regards,

blinq

Re: Grass changes position between frames
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 05:30:28 PM »
Hi,
I've built the grass from scratch and it seems to be working fine now. It wasn't the distance falloff - it was turned off... So I have no idea what was the problem. But it is ok now I hope.
By the way you should work on the Edge Mode in V-Ray GPU - it would help a lot ;)

Thanks!