Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Problem with Forest Pro and Material/Animation  (Read 4254 times)

Sebastian

Problem with Forest Pro and Material/Animation
« on: February 13, 2018, 09:07:03 AM »
Hello,

I faced two problems using Forest Pro with scattered, animated vray proxies:

First: After rendering the material of the scattered proxies looks different than the one of the source proxy. Hereby it does not matter if I assign a material (the same material) in the Forest Pro Rollout under "Geometry->Material" or not. The result is the same. Somehow it looks much lighter and each grass blade got its own "Tint". I do not use Forest Color for tinting, so I can't see why the blades are nevertheless tinted. The material assigned only uses Multi/Subobject(1 Slot)<-VRayMaterial<-Bitmap(Diffuse). I attached an image with an example. To the right you can see the source proxy, to the left a bunch of scattered proxies.

Second (my main problem): While rendering an animation sequence with this setup the material suddenly changes in frame 38/39. Most of the light blades get dark and vice versa. First it looked like some of the geometry disappers, but the blades only get very dark. The source proxy nearby looks good. The color doesn't change. As expected. I attached three frames (37-39) which show the color jump of the scattered proxies, while the source proxy doesnt change.

The scene is useless in this state. I have no clue what is going on here.

System: 3ds Max 2018, Forest Pro 5.4.1., vray 3.6
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:14:48 AM by Sebastian »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Problem with Forest Pro and Material/Animation
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 01:15:57 PM »
Hi Sebastian,

The Forest Color map feature Map / Tint by Element isn't supported on proxies. As mentioned in our on-line reference guide:"To use Map and Tint by Element, you must use VRay or Mental Ray and standard meshes as Custom Objects, other types of objects as proxies are not supported."

That might be potentially related to sudden material changes. I would use XRef's instead of Proxy objects or import the geometry into the scene to check if there's any difference. Thanks in advance for any further details you can share about it with us / our user community.

Best regards,

Sebastian

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »
Thank you for your answer, but as I wrote: I do not use Forest Color or the tint functionality. I am using a simple VrayMaterial with a Bitmap as diffuse map. Nothig else. This is directly assigned to the proxy. The forest object has no additional material assigned to it, neither the object itself (Properties-Dialog) nor in the Forest Geometry Rollout. And that is what I want: Just use the very basic VrayMaterial. But Forest somehow changes the material, as you can see on the screenshot. And even more: It produces the animation error (color jump). I just want to scatter instances of the proxy, nothing more.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:33:24 PM »
Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your swift reply. Let me apologize - I've overlooked, you're not using any "Tint feature(s)". If you'll be able to reproduce it on a minimal scene, which you can send us, it would be great. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Sebastian

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 08:39:26 AM »
Hello,

I sent a sample scene. Hope the zip is not too large (16MB).

Regards,
Sebastian