Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Stop forest pack to penetrate walls!  (Read 4703 times)

Morpheus

Stop forest pack to penetrate walls!
« on: April 19, 2013, 08:23:34 PM »
If possible please to the future versions, to make forest pack
objects NOT to penetrate walls...

For example I create with 3ds max a house wall with solids.
As you see when I put outside the wall some plants, then
these plants enter inside the wall as you see in the picture...

It would be awesome when a forest pack plant "meet" an object,
then does not penetrate it but instead the object "trims" the forest
pack plant...

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Stop forest pack to penetrate walls!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 10:54:30 PM »

You can fix this issue setting the Area->Boundary Checking to "Size". Then use the Geometry->Collision Radius to adjust the penetration distance. The value is adjustable for each entry of the Geometry list.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Morpheus

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 12:41:30 PM »
Carlos I did what you said...
I have to "play" with a lot of values...
Anyway I hope it can be resolved
in more simply manner in the future...

I keep my values like I have them now and...
God save Photoshop!!! :)

Forest Pack is a genious piece of art plugin.
It makes the renderings flying...

So like every piece of art on this planet is handmade,
some things in Forest pack we have to "correct" them manually
outside the program, to archive the results we want....

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 10:01:29 AM »
Unfortunately there is not a simple way to solve perfectly these kind of collisions. We use several methods to exclude the plants that are near the area boundary, but it is not possible to "slice" the plant. That should require some type of boolean operation, but (by several reasons) is not applicable here.

Anyway, the Area Boundary option should work fine here. In the attached image you can see the difference between using "Point" and "Size" mode. Using the default Geometry->Collision Radius (100%), the plants are excluded perfectly from the spline's bondary. You can adjust the penetration modifying this parameter.

Note: The Boundary Checking feature only is available with Areas of type Spline.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:20:48 AM by iToo »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

alexrecentspaces

• Recent Spaces
    • recentspaces.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »
Is there a way or similar tool to Boundary for Surface as the distribution object? I tend to use Surfaces more often (almost all the time), as it's simpler to just grab the faces that I need and grow things on them. Drawing splines (or extracting them) is a lot more time-consuming.

I face this issue a lot, where grass will spill over the edges of a surface or trees penetrate inside walls. If we could simply use the outer "boundary" edges of a surface as a fixed boundary I think this would solve it.
Alex York
Recent Spaces

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:55:51 AM »

No, unfortunately there is not such feature for Surfaces. We have this suggestion in our wishlist, but it is not easy to implement in the current workflow. I hope we can solve this limitation for a next update.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

alexrecentspaces

• Recent Spaces
    • recentspaces.com
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »

No, unfortunately there is not such feature for Surfaces. We have this suggestion in our wishlist, but it is not easy to implement in the current workflow. I hope we can solve this limitation for a next update.

Thanks for letting me know. Perhaps it could be solved in a dynamic way where FP automatically extracts the outer and topmost edges of the surfaces (so long as they are connected to form a single closed Spline) and on-the-fly converts this to an invisible usable spline, to behave in the same way as spline Area boundaries. Or it could prompt you to select the edges to form that spline, with some kind of interactive selection like an edgeloop. Just thinking out loud.
Alex York
Recent Spaces

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:09:54 PM »

I had this idea as well, but not always the surface is suitable for extracting a closed area. Ideally it should work in all conditions and transparent for the user... so we shall try several methods.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

alexrecentspaces

• Recent Spaces
    • recentspaces.com
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »

I had this idea as well, but not always the surface is suitable for extracting a closed area. Ideally it should work in all conditions and transparent for the user... so we shall try several methods.

Yes I can see why it's tricky. Maybe a "best solution" which prompts the user to manually close/fix the extracted spline. Messy. Or some kind of projection from above which "drops" a spline onto a surface and cuts itself out like a cookie-cutter over the surface a little like your Glue plugin.
Alex York
Recent Spaces