Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Reading long item names in geometry roll out  (Read 753 times)

KE3893

Reading long item names in geometry roll out
« on: June 09, 2020, 02:05:59 AM »
Hi,

Is there a way (other than looking at the custom name) to view a long name in the geometry roll out? Such as a scene explorer like list?
Flora often have huge names so the tiny geometry roll out list doesn't really give you much to go with.

Running into so many cases where it's quite frustrating to see at a glance what is in a Forest Pack, especially when working on multiple projects, revisiting old ones to update them; or even plain old problem solving.
It is possible to rename each item under the geometry roll out. However We don't want to rename each individual item in every Forest Pack, especially when using 50+ objects in a project; it's a vast time sink.
We also usually like add VrayProxy prefix to seperate out items, however we've had to shunt that as suffix otherwise geometry list is 100% useless; not ideal but it's a work around.

If the option doesn't already exist, it would be great to get option in the future to be able to see an overview of what's actually being used by a Forest Pack! =)

Rokas

Re: Reading long item names in geometry roll out
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 02:01:33 PM »
Hi

First of all, You can see full name by hovering mouse on the item:

I understand that sometimes is too little.
I have created a additional tool to view and rename geometry items.

Check ForestPack toolbox v1.3.
Rokas

KE3893

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 04:59:40 AM »
Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

That tool looks really useful. Will give it a whirl!

On a side note, what's the logic behind the naming list for adding new objects into a libary from a scene.
The list has no sort by alphabetical order?

I've included an attachment showing what a list for me looks like, everything is jumbled and you can't see the full name with no options to extended the viewing of the name itself.
In this case I wanted to select every item that was named FP_Tree_*** and FP_Shrub_***; It was easy to miss a few.

Cheers

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 07:57:59 AM »
That is the output order of 3dsMax function call.
We will check if this list can be ordered for future versions. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
For now You are better off preparing the *.max file before using import function.
Rokas

KE3893

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 01:16:34 AM »
Ok, thanks.