Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Forest Pack Pro price changes  (Read 4341 times)

dschaga

Forest Pack Pro price changes
« on: April 04, 2011, 04:22:45 PM »
well .. i'm not very happy with this changes and i think it's a move in the wrong direction for a software which seems to need a lot of bugfixes.

I also never expected an subscription system when i bought FP, but i expected sometimes a 4.0 update and now i have a software with bugs but without support. ...so, if you really want to change your license system then start the subscription period with the date of its introduction and not with the individual purchase date.
 >:(

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Forest Pack Pro price changes
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 05:31:17 PM »

well .. i'm not very happy with this changes and i think it's a move in the wrong direction for a software which seems to need a lot of bugfixes.

What bugfixes ? We work very hard to fix all bugs as soon as possible, even sometimes releasing a maintenance patch in less than 48 hours when a critical bug has been reported. At this moment, i don't remember any critical issue pending, but if you have some problem with the software, please write us.

I also never expected an subscription system when i bought FP, but i expected sometimes a 4.0 update and now i have a software with bugs but without support. ...so, if you really want to change your license system then start the subscription period with the date of its introduction and not with the individual purchase date.
 >:(

In the past, we have released commercial upgrades of our software every two years roughly, for a price of 100 Eur. Now, with the new subscription system, you should pay 50 Eur by year, so the cost is the same. Besides this, we have improved the volume discounts both for new licenses and renewals (as 25% for two licenses), and we have reduced the base price from 200 Eur to 180 Eur.

The main difference is that now we can deliver new features instantly, without waiting for an upgrade for two years or more. I think has not sense to save a full set of new features for Forest 4, if you can enjoy it as soon as they are developed.

About starting the subscription period with its introduction, i'm sorry but that is not realistic. We cannot apply the same policy upgrade to the licenses purchased three years ago, that those acquired the last week.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

dschaga

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:15:03 PM »
Some fixes were needed after a user found a bug. No problem! fine!

Now a user who bought your Software 1-2 years ago (like me) will maybe find a new bug in the version he/she is allowed (by itoo) to use, ... but also have to pay with the subscription for a bugfix . ..sooo... there is my point and where is yours?

..AND I also think that the date when you change your license system is also the date when it should start - when i bought your software YOU DO NOT told me that the subscription period have been started. This is an serious Issue and not anymore a complain!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »

This is the same situation as if we had released a commercial upgrade (as Forest 4), including new features... and fixes, but instead paying 100 Eur, the subscription cost is 50 Eur / year. When we released Forest 3, the upgrade from Forest 2 was free only for licenses purchased 6 months before the release date. Instead, with the subscription scheme this period is extended, granting free upgrades for a year from the purchase date.

All companies that develop a software from a long time, must charge for the upgrades from time to time. This is a must to maintain the product's quality and support. And (usually) the fixes are developed exclusively for  the latest version, because other approaches are not practical, specially for plugins as Forest that must support up to 12 different Max versions (the number of source code fixes and compilations would be huge).

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

dschaga

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:52:03 PM »
again ..i expected to pay for an 4.0 version and i understand your problems with 3dsmax (you are not the only one), but the way you changed your license system and how you communicate it to the customers is completely wrong.

and again ... when the subscription periode starts with the day you introduce it i wouldn't complain about it, but what you did is something like misleading the consumer - not now but when the consumer bought your software some month ago not knowing that you will "brick" his/her license within one day ...and this is here - and you are also in the EU - an serious Issue!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »

Well, the new pricing scheme was posted some days ago in the Announcement forum. But yes, the next time we will try to do it earlier.

I should clarify that in any way the licenses will be 'bricked' after expiring the subscription:

1) The license will work (forever) with all Forest versions published in the subscription period.
2) You will continue receiving technical support, both for the software and licensing/activations issues.

Introducing the subscriptions, we have defined more clearly the upgrading policy. Until now, when you purchase a license there was not guaranteed what upgrades you receive (to Forest 3.5 ?, Forest 4 ?, six monts ?, one year ?), but of course we are willing to solve any issue that you have using the software, regardless of the subscription.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

DIMITRIS

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:28:28 PM »
I think that ForestPack is really cheap for what it does... these guys really deserve to make some money from such a nice work...  The subscription is really cheap and since they can have a  predictable cash flow we can be sure that the application will continue to improve. I am really happy with ForestPack and I was gladly paid the subscription.
I will sign it only if it is a piece of art!