Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Wishlist: Support the vray multisubtex in the same way as forest map  (Read 1574 times)

Screenscene vfx

Heya Folks!

I got bitten on a job last year where I was using forest to scatter a lot of elements but for whatever reason I ended up having to export to instances which of course breaks the forest variation map. I had to achieve similar results using the vray multi subtex which isn't as flexible but gives us variety. Would it be possible to do some kind of internal conversion in forest so the vray multisubtex could be treated almost like the forest map? Then we can lookdev one version of an asset and have variety built in whether it ends up in forest or not.

Cheers!

John

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Wishlist: Support the vray multisubtex in the same way as forest map
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 01:27:22 PM »
Hi, i'm afraid it's not possible. We cannot modify the behaviour of Multisubtex, or replace it with our own code. That's out of the capabilities of a plugin.

Regards,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

in3des

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 02:49:46 PM »
I had same problem recently and still coulnd't get same result as forest color did. I put same values for each ID but maybe settings still not correct.
Also I didn't see great difference if use just one texture map.
I turned off 'blend color and texture' - this make very bad results (but we loose using probability for each ID)
Pls find attached screenshots.
Can we have some small tutorial how make similar material with vray multisubtex capabilities.
Thx.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:59:04 AM »
Hi,

Depending on your setup it will be difficult to achieve exactly the same result with Forest Color because this map has some unique features. For example Forest Colour enables you to randomise per element, not just per object which cannot be easily replicated using the multisubtex map, also it has the ability to add random tints from a gradient or map which is also not supported. However I do have some workarounds that I use for GPU based engines that approximate some of the latter features so I'll make a little tutorial to explain soon.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software