Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Request - FP reads RC segement names  (Read 2259 times)

DamianM

• MONSUMM
Request - FP reads RC segement names
« on: March 30, 2023, 04:33:53 PM »
Hi,
I often use FP and RC at the same time to seed geometry. I use RC to tell where exactly a given object should appear on the line and on that object I sow FP. Recently, a nice option was added to FP, where objects can be seeded on other objects with the same name, but the possibilities are quite limited, hence my 2 requests:
- is it possible to make FP read the name of the RC segment, let's assume that I very precisely sow 10 segments using RC with different names and I want FP to be able to read the names of these segments
- each object added to the FP can be assigned a separate ID

Is something like this possible to add or work around?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 12:22:00 PM by DamianM »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Request - FP reads RC segement names
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 10:09:38 AM »
Hi,

I’m afraid, that’s not possible – when using a RailClone object as a source for a Forest Pack distribution, all the Segments within the RC object are collapsed to a single mesh object and Forest Pack simply reads the triangle data as it would any other mesh.

Best regards,

DamianM

• MONSUMM
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 11:09:11 AM »
Hi,
Thank You very much. And what about other request where object added to FP can have individual ID assigned just as in Reference rollout?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 11:12:49 AM by DamianM »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 02:03:16 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your swift reply. Would you mind describing the desired usage / workflow more in detail? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

DamianM

• MONSUMM
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2023, 03:07:40 PM »
I would like to have the functionality that I can assign any materialID to each object within one FP. Now 1 FP = 1 materialID.
Please let me know if is understandable :-).

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 09:21:36 AM »
Apologies for the delayed response. That’s something that can be at the moment done with the help of the effects feature. To match the Material ID you should assign the Reference object also as a Surface and use the following code to match the item’s ID:

fpItem.geomID = fpItem.surfMatID;

Please find attached a sample scene showing this approach and the “SurfaceIDToGeomID.eff” effect. I hope that helps.

Best regards,

DamianM

• MONSUMM
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2023, 02:05:47 PM »
Thank you for the solution, it can actually help me a lot. I have one more request. Could you suggest a command for RailClone Material node that would designate for each line segment only one random number among 47 different materialID?

DamianM

• MONSUMM
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 11:55:44 AM »
bump

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 01:56:04 PM »
Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response. You can export both From & To parameters from the Material Operator and handle both of these values by a Random Parameter with a Range from 1 to 47 set to the Generate on: XSpline Section. I hope that helps.

Best regards,