Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Safety measure when adding surfaces  (Read 917 times)

DT

Safety measure when adding surfaces
« on: November 09, 2022, 05:47:10 PM »
Hi,

Would it maybe be possible to have some sort of safety measure built in for when applying a surface to a FP object. For instance I tried to add a surface but I clicked just a little bit wrong in my model and clicked on a complex building instead. Result is Max completely frozen and unresponsive.

RealViz

Re: Safety measure when adding surfaces
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 10:08:50 AM »
I have been using FP for years and have never had a problem with adding surface. I think for more complex scenes, select by name (attachment) is sufficient. Or always select surface + given FP and issolate. After then assign the object.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 10:18:22 AM »
I don't see what rule we could use for that. From the plugin side, a building or a surface is just a mesh with many faces.
As RealViz suggested, in these cases the best option is to assign by name.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

DT

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 11:55:36 AM »
I don't see what rule we could use for that. From the plugin side, a building or a surface is just a mesh with many faces.
As RealViz suggested, in these cases the best option is to assign by name.

Hi, thank you for the response, I was also thinking about that. Maybe when a surface consist of more than X amount of elements, there could be a warning. Because it's weird: why FP would make Max not responsive in this case. The geometry might be 'complex (consisting of multiple elements) but the total surface area is a smaller than most surfaces I use to scatter grasses or anything. So there shouldn't be that many items. Not sure why it would make Max hang.

As for RealViz's tip, I isolate most of the time before assigning instead of the assign by name option. I don't have this a lot, might have been the 5th time in 10 years. I was just wondering why it would hang Max and if this could be prevented.