Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Not understanding how to cut/paste/save settings from one scene to another  (Read 2424 times)

scott

Is there an easy way to take a forest object from one scene to another?  I've got a day scene and night scene.  I'll add something into the day scene, and find it impossible to easily paste that object and all settings into the night version.  I always end up having to build it all from scratch in the night scene and that's a PITA.  All the spline/surface object names are the same.

Also...cannot figure out what good the presets are...lol.  They don't seem to do anything, really.  If I save a preset for a particular object, then try to apply the saved preset to something else...meh.  Never works.  Seems like hardly anything changes.

What am I missing?  How do I easily cut and paste?  How do I effectively use the presets?

scott

Yeah, just did another test of the presets.

1. When I apply a preset to a shrub in my scene the surface element is deleted and I have to add it again.  Even though the original object that I made the preset from had the exact same surface object.  WHY?

2. The materials don't transfer over with the preset at all. I even copy and pasted the object into the scene so that the materials are there (Even though there's a big fat 'F' lol), but the preset is unable to recognize them.  WHY?

scott

If I paste an object into a scene, I then have to reselect surface and my spline.  Okay, fine.  That makes the F disappear at least.

But then the object still isn't showing up....not until I have to reselect in the Geometry list - which then overrides my custom color.

This is maddening.

Got to be an easier way, lol.

???

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software

Currently the Presets system handles only the numerical parameters (it uses a ini file to store the values). Obviously, this method is very limited because 
Forest keeps multiple external references that must be transferred to scene: custom objects, surfaces, materials, areas, etc.

We are working in a new Presets method, integrated with the library browser. In this way, would be possible to store full Forest objects with all their elements. Hopefully, it will be ready for the next update.

The easiest mode to copy a Forest object from other scene is to use Import->Merge, but selecting all referenced objects. For this, turn on "Display Influences" and "Select Influences" in the merge dialog. Once imported, just assign the new areas and surfaces.

To copy a Forest object within a same scene, just use Clone (Ctrl+V) and select "Copy". That should work fine.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

scott

Re: Not understanding how to cut/paste/save settings from one scene to another
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
Carlos, thanks much for that.  Really helped with the 'display influences/select influences'.  I never have reason to use those and didn't even think about it!