Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Scale option from pivot  (Read 2064 times)

3dwannab

Scale option from pivot
« on: December 19, 2014, 10:51:09 PM »
When scaling individual objects in the geometry rollout, would it be possible to get an option to scale from the origin of the original object as opposed to the lowest bounding Z value? and add the object bearing in mind it's insertion point also? This causes problems when you add random scales to the tree.

See attachment where the problem lies. Note: The original file has the origin at the base of the truck and not the base of the root.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 10:57:32 PM by 3dwannab »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Scale option from pivot
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:49:16 AM »
Please, would you double check if your tree's pivot is well aligned ?  It works fine here, both using Geometry->Scale or Transform->Scale:

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

3dwannab

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 05:59:50 PM »
Hi, yes, I've done that but the original file has the pivot point at the correct position. It's when it's imported to the file as a forst object that the pivot gets moved to the lowest bounding Z value. I was looking for an option to respect that original pivot point instead of manually changing every object as I add to the scene.

Thanks.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 09:27:45 AM »
Please, try applying a Reset XForm (from the Utilities panel) and tell me if that solves the problem.
If not, please send me the tree object to support@itoosoft.com. We'll check it.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

3dwannab

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 10:22:16 PM »
Hi sent a mail there. For others reference, here's the original file with the pivot located in the correct position.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 10:18:46 AM »
Hi, i'm unable to reproduce the problem here using your object: i create a new scene, merge the tree and assign it to a Forest object. The alignment seems correct, using the pivot of the object (same result as shown in my previous post).
What Max and Forest version do you use ? I used FP 4.3.4 and Max 2015.

Anyway, i see this tree comes from the XFrog library. It's true that exists a problem with objects from this library. You can see a discussion here. But this case is different, if the object is already attached and the pivot aligned correctly.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

3dwannab

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
Yes, importing the object prior to adding a FP works. When I merge the tree with the scene then choose it for a custom forest object everything works like it should.

I think a fix or an option needs to be implemented to respect the models pivot point like your link you posted above states.

BTW:
- I'm choosing the trees using XFrogs Library from the Library browser.
- The tree object is one single mesh.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to a fix been implemented. :]

One more thing. In the filter for the Library browser doesn't support wildcards. You have to search from the start of the string for it to work properly too.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 10:49:57 AM »
Ok, we'll try to provide a fix for these XFrog objects.
Regarding wildcards, actually are not supported but i think it would be added easily. I include your suggestion in our to-do list.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

3dwannab

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 08:37:49 PM »
THANK VERY MUCH.