Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Scatter Splines - non-FP geo  (Read 388 times)

cjwidd

Scatter Splines - non-FP geo
« on: January 29, 2023, 12:09:17 AM »
Is it possible to direct Forest Park to scatter geo around non-FP geo?

For example, manually place trees on a terrain, but procedurally scatter detail objects (e.g. twigs, mushrooms, grass) around the manually placed trees using Forest Park?

Can you use splines to achieve this effect? For example, place circle splines around the manually placed trees to direct FP to cluster scatter objects at those locations?

What is the workflow for this very obvious use case?

Arslan

Re: Scatter Splines - non-FP geo
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 10:08:17 AM »
hi, I hope the method in this video helps.

https://youtu.be/3XetvN6rmms?t=918

cjwidd

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 05:53:13 AM »
I don't understand how the technique described in the video is relevant to the posted question(?)

In the video, Forest Pack objects are able to be included or excluded on the basis of other objects that are ALSO being scattered by a Forest Pack object.

The posted question, however, asks about scattering objects on the basis of other objects that are NOT scattered by Forest Pack. Would the idea be to select every non-FP object that we want FP to build a density parameter around and assign it as an Area?

If so, then you would have to manually adjust the Density and Falloff parameters for every single mesh instance added to the Areas list, which would be prohibitively tedious.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 07:34:54 AM by cjwidd »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 09:33:14 AM »
Hi,

First, let me mention, that you can place “manually” these items in the Custom Edit mode, and this way you can take advantage of other advanced Forest features (like the Forest Color map, adjusting Transform to easily add some randomness to these, several viewport modes, etc.).

In the case, you would prefer for some reason to not have these within a Forest object, you can easily use these as “references” within the Distribution > Reference Mode.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,