Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Just updated - lots of issues  (Read 1274 times)

LN3176

Just updated - lots of issues
« on: November 09, 2016, 08:42:50 PM »
I bought ForestPro back in 2013 and have been using it on and off since. I wanted to delve further into it so I decided to renew my subscription today. I am experiencing a lot of issues. First off, I have scale issues. I work in feet and inches. I used one of the new mulch presets and scale was enormous. I just spend the last half hour searching through the forum looking for a solution and I was unable to find them. Secondly, I am experiencing a lot more crashes. I hit render and I wait about 90 seconds for the render to start and it just crashes. 3ds Max Design 2013. I have 2017 but I that was an even bigger nightmare so I just went back to 2013. I am also dealing with running out of RAM issues when using ForestPro. This seems to be one of the main contributors to my 3ds Max crashes.

If I restart max, it will test render once. The second time I try, I always get "the render was cancelled due to insufficient memory. Adjust the scene or render settings to reduce memory use and try again".

Edit* now I just got "mental ray has encountered a fatal error and the application will now shutdown. The error is: DB  000 3364MB fatal 041052: accessing unknown tag 0x1032
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:48:09 PM by LN3176 »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Just updated - lots of issues
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 10:08:11 AM »
Hi,
"I work in feet and inches. I used one of the new mulch presets and scale was enormous"
That sounds like a 3ds max's System Unit setup issue. Please open the Units Setup dialogue (Customize - Units Setup...) and in the System Unit Setup window check the option Respect System Units in Files. That should fix it.
"I hit render and I wait about 90 seconds for the render to start and it just crashes."
Sorry to hear, you're facing these troubles. Unfortunately, the mental ray error is too way generic and it doesn't clear at all. Would you mind to send us the minidump file of the crash? Hopefully, it'll point to the problem source. Thanks in advance for your collaboration.

Best regards,

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 12:27:46 PM »
Hi,

Even better, than the minidump report, would be to have the problematic scene here to do some tests with it. Could you send us your scene (ideally a simplified version of it) and specify your hardware & software configuration? Thanks in advance.

Also, I would suggest you to try the experimental mode, that has been implemented recently. (*) Added experimental memory management for Mental Ray rendering.

It can be enabled by setting MentalRayDirectMode=1 in the forestpack.ini file (located by default at: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\<maxversion>\ENU\en-US\plugcfg). Attaching screen-shot.

We'll be very grateful for any further comments on this issue you can share about it with us / our user community.

Best regards,

LN3176

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 09:17:32 PM »
Thanks for the response. I sent the file via dropbox. Let me know if I can provide any more information.