Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Script adding existing server custom library to all users  (Read 519 times)

Morne

Script adding existing server custom library to all users
« on: January 14, 2022, 08:51:47 AM »
Hi Guys

I've created a new custom library on the server. Instead of going to each pc and manually adding it to each user's max setup, I just want to add it to my other existing startup scripts.

What code can I use to add the library to each user's Itoo Library?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Script adding existing server custom library to all users
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 10:29:55 AM »
Hi Morne,

Library paths are stored (& can be edited/added) in the system registry under the

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Itoo Software\Forest Pack Pro\LibraryDir

key, At the moment, the recommendable way of "copying these" would be by using .reg files.

For rendering purposes, 3ds max is looking for assets such as maps within paths listed within the Customize > User Paths > External files list. The Forest Pack plug-in runs a "Collecting maps" process searching in all its library paths for folders with the name "maps" and these are automatically added to the aforementioned External files list.

However, that's not the case of render nodes, where the plug-in isn't "launched". So for these, it's possible to copy the 3dsmax.ini file with correct paths to all of the computers on the farm. Just a note on that however: apart from the [BitmapDirs] section there are several other 3ds Max settings saved in the 3dsmax.ini file, and not always it would be a good idea to replace them with "another computer settings". Anyway, if these computers are always used just as render nodes, there shouldn't be any problem.

I hope that helps,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Morne

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 10:37:20 AM »
For the maps, say I have a FP object that I created, and its not in the library, but it renders fine locally and over render nodes, are you saying then if I add this FP item to our library on the server that the paths will suddenly change and not work unless explicitly added to the external files list?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:43:58 AM by Morne »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 10:41:08 AM »
Hi Morne, the paths don't change. If a Maps folder is found in a library it is just added to the external files list, in the event that a map cannot be found at its original location, Max will try to find it in the folders listed here.

Cheers,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Morne

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 10:47:12 AM »
I'm saying the maps used in the FP object is directly referenced by the source objects. The paths are not listed in any external lists or 3rd party lists.

Will it still work then when added to the Library, or woudl I need to modify the source gemoetry material's textures paths for it to still work when things have been added to the library?

Meaning, does the library somehow treat FP objects differently than same object if it wasnt in the Library?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 10:50:59 AM »
Nope - the library will save the files with their reference exactly as they are. As long as the other computers on the network can find the locations of those map files you should be fine.
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Morne

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 10:56:04 AM »
OK thanks Paul
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:02:44 AM by Morne »