Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Scripts for Forest Pack  (Read 111033 times)

Viz3D

• Viz3D
Re: Scripts for Forest Pack
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2022, 06:01:14 PM »
Just to add another suggestion.
Can we have a global "Max Items" spinner for viewport display?
Thanks in advance.

Florian Albert

« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2022, 03:53:56 PM »
Hi Paul,

your Script seems realy intersting to me! Its almost exactly what I am looking for. I need to scatter lots of objects and later export them to a realtime application (Autodesk VRED). Now the tricky part:

1. each scattered object has to be grouped and instanced.
2. The transforms (Position, Rotation, Scale) must be written into the Groups but not in the Object/Geometry itself.

If I use your script and select one grouped Object it is instanced and position-, roatation- matched very well, but all instances are still parts of the source groupe. I need the Groups to be copied/instanced too – so I get x instanced objects in X groups. Or in other words: instead of „instance lights on Forest Pack items“ I need „instance Groups on Forest Pack items“. Maybe it helps if you know that I do not need to distribute Groups with more than one Object… …maybe it seems to be illogical, but this is necessary because this ist the only way to get VRED recognizing the instances.

I hope you can help.
Many Thanks in Advance,

Florian

Instance lights on Forest Pack items

This script instances any object to match the position and rotation of items scattered with Forest Pack. It can be useful for distributing lights, splines, particle systems or any other non-geometric object that it not able to be scattered directly with Forest Pack

To use this script:
- NOTE: To return correct transform information, Forest Pack object must be scattering custom geometry, not using one of the built in billboard templates.
- Press the "Pick Object to instance" button and choose the object you'd like to instance, for example a light
- Make sure a Forest Object is selected.
- Click "Instances to Forest"

The new instances are created with a combination of the source object and the Forest object's names. To delete these.

- Make sure the source object is chosen using the "Pick Object to instance" button
- Select the FP object
- Click delete instanced objects.

Note: Because the delete function is using the names of the FP object and the source object you should not change their names if you would like to use the delete function.

I hope it's useful for someone.

Many thanks!

Paul.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2022, 06:56:21 PM »
Hello Florian, you might find you have more success using Forest Tools. It's a built-in utility that you can use to Convert a Forest Object to instances. Read more about it here: https://docs.itoosoft.com/forestpack/instantiating-and-exporting/forest-tools

Best,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Florian Albert

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2022, 12:33:18 PM »
Hello Paul,

many thanks for your reply!

I know Forest Tools but as far as I know it does not what I need. Unfortunately I need every single scattered Geometry to be grouped in his own Groupe. If I would do it by hand, workflow would look like this: Take a Tree, groupe it, take this groupe and Instance and transform (move,rotate, scale) it x-times as needed. If I use forest tools I get perfectly instanced but ungrouped Trees or all instanced Trees grouped in one only groupe.
I need to import the scatter in Autodesk VRED and VRED is recognizing the instances only if every scattered Tree is "transformfree" and the transforms are a property of a unique Groupe for each scattered tree.
If your Script would instance the grouped Tree, not only the Tree itself,  and match the position and rotation of items scattered with Forest Pack this would be working for us...

Cheers,
Florian

ritoo

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2023, 08:50:02 AM »
I wanted to  make a shortcut for FP Tollbox and tried to make .mcr myself, but constantly get runtime errors.
Could somebody please make a proper .mcr file out of ForestPack Toolbox v1.8?
Thank you in advance

zules

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2023, 02:03:45 PM »
Hello there,
any plan to update Forest Toolbox to handle camera menu without crash, and maybe other new function coming from v8 ?

Thanks !

JG
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 03:04:59 PM by zules »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2023, 08:53:57 AM »
Hi,

Forest Toolbox was developed by one of our collaborators (Rokas) as a personal project. Unfortunately he doesn't work anymore at iToo Software.

I'm sorry, but at this moment we have not plans to update the tool.
We would reconsidere that in the future, but currently we have not spare time to dedicate to it.

Regards,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

KT6866

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2023, 01:48:57 AM »
This Instances to Forest Pack script is terrific, thanks. The original object from which the instances are created, however is not displayed in FP itself, but in the video it is? Being able to convert instanced geometry, maintaining already positioned/transformed geometry is super helpful for efficiency purposes and I'd love to see this built into the plugin.

InstancesToForest

This script looks in the scene to find instances of the objects in Forest Pack's item list. When it finds them they're added to FP, matching the position, rotation and scale.

To use this script:
- Create a new FP object
- Add an object/s to Forest Pack's items list, these are the things with instances in the scene that you'd like to convert to FP geometry.
- Change to Tree Editor mode
- With the FP object still selected, press Instance To Forest.

Here's a video of it working

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CuQbinj-U5Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Note that this is an early version. At the moment the Forest Pack object must be at the world origin (the script changes this automatically though). I'd also like to add the ability to append the instances (at the moment it overwrites the current scatter),an option to automatically find instanced objects and add one of them to the items list (great for automatically converting large scenes), and an option to delete the original instances once added to FP.

I hope it's useful for some people.

Many thanks!

Paul.

Jean-Brad

• emy-design
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2023, 02:41:29 PM »
Hi Paul,

It looks like this script doesn't work fine when converting light instances to forest objects. There is a scale issue, the lights in the forest object are very very small....
If you have any idea on how to solve that.

Thanks in advance.

regards,