Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Grass is going everywhere when using Scale to fit  (Read 1479 times)

Jens meyssen

Grass is going everywhere when using Scale to fit
« on: December 10, 2015, 11:36:09 AM »
Hello Itoo !

I hope the picture here says enough,
When I use Scale to fit sloped areas, my grass goes everywhere in certain area's and seems to be pinching ( not sure if this is the correct term ) in certain places aswell.
I'm using a grass preset from the library

Also my grass isn't connecting to the edges at some places when using the edge mode, can this be helped aswell ?
I'm quite new to the plugin, so help is much appreciated !

Kind Regards

Jens

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Grass is going everywhere when using Scale to fit
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 01:31:41 PM »
Hi Jens,

Well, depending on used surface size & topology, grass clumps used in our "large" presets may not suit ideally all situations. By looking at your surface I would suggest you to apply a "detail" version of that preset.

Anyway, please feel free to send us your scene to support@itoosoft.com and we´ll check it. In case of big file size, please use a web sharing service as WeTransfer. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jens meyssen

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:12:08 PM »
Hi Jens,

Well, depending on used surface size & topology, grass clumps used in our "large" presets may not suit ideally all situations. By looking at your surface I would suggest you to apply a "detail" version of that preset.

Anyway, please feel free to send us your scene to support@itoosoft.com and we´ll check it. In case of big file size, please use a web sharing service as WeTransfer. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Thanks for the answer.

When I Use the detailed version, It says my max density limit has been reached, since it is quite a large scene
I will send you the scene, with the settings I used.

Kind regards.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 04:16:36 PM »
Hi Jens,

In case of using (detail) presets on large areas, even having set X/Y Density values accordingly, the Max density limit needs to be raised (by default set to 10Mil).

An option would be to combine those large / detail presets (use detailed on just on problematic parts). We'll check your scene and keep you posted.

Best regards,

Jens meyssen

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 10:14:51 AM »
Hi Jens,

In case of using (detail) presets on large areas, even having set X/Y Density values accordingly, the Max density limit needs to be raised (by default set to 10Mil).

An option would be to combine those large / detail presets (use detailed on just on problematic parts). We'll check your scene and keep you posted.

Best regards,

I tried using the detailed preset, but I get the same problem and get the same problem with other presets aswel.
I'm starting to think it may be a toppology problem or something.

Hoping you guys can figure it out

Kind regards.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 01:15:31 PM »
Hi Jens,

Did you try any of suggested options sent by email? Upon my tests these should work fine ...

"Thanks for provided scene. To be able to use the "detail" preset both of Distribution Map - Max density & Display - Max items needs to be pushed up. Setting Max density to 100 and Max items to 5000000 would be sufficient.

For that particular surface the Surface - UV mode might suit better than the default XY. As mentioned in our on-line reference guide: "The UV mode uses the mapping coordinates of the surface as alignment guide for the Distribution map. This mode is best used on rough terrains or to scatter items over convex 3D objects (as a sphere). Note that using this mode, the UV coordinates must be precisely defined to get a coherent result."

On option would be to split (Edit Geometry - Detach) your "Object210" surface. This will allow you to have two separate Forest objects and use the "detail" preset just on the problematic area.

Another possible way to archive the same effect would be to set two Forest objects over the same surface, but limit the distribution on these by Altitude Range / Slope Angle Range values. The one on sloped parts would use "detail" preset and the other "large" one."

Best regards,

Jens meyssen

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »
Hi Jens,

Did you try any of suggested options sent by email? Upon my tests these should work fine ...

"Thanks for provided scene. To be able to use the "detail" preset both of Distribution Map - Max density & Display - Max items needs to be pushed up. Setting Max density to 100 and Max items to 5000000 would be sufficient.

For that particular surface the Surface - UV mode might suit better than the default XY. As mentioned in our on-line reference guide: "The UV mode uses the mapping coordinates of the surface as alignment guide for the Distribution map. This mode is best used on rough terrains or to scatter items over convex 3D objects (as a sphere). Note that using this mode, the UV coordinates must be precisely defined to get a coherent result."

On option would be to split (Edit Geometry - Detach) your "Object210" surface. This will allow you to have two separate Forest objects and use the "detail" preset just on the problematic area.

Another possible way to archive the same effect would be to set two Forest objects over the same surface, but limit the distribution on these by Altitude Range / Slope Angle Range values. The one on sloped parts would use "detail" preset and the other "large" one."

Best regards,

Hey Michal

Splitting up the object did the trick !
Thank you very much for the help !

Have a nice weekend

Kind regards.

Jens

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 03:14:48 PM »
Hi Jens,

You're welcome. Glad to hear that it helped. Have a nice weekend too.

Best regards,