Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Difference between proxies and instances?  (Read 7537 times)

DIMITRIS

Difference between proxies and instances?
« on: February 25, 2009, 03:13:07 PM »
I use forestpack with Maxwell and I am not familiar with the word "proxy"... I read the new features of the upcoming release and I would like to ask what is the difference between proxy and instance.... Since we can create instances with Forest tools why do we need something else?
Thanks in advance for any answer... ???
I will sign it only if it is a piece of art!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Difference between proxies and instances?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:25:25 PM »

A proxy is a special type of object that works as a instance, but specifically for Mental Ray and VRay ("mr Proxy" and "VRay Proxy"). Usually with these renderers is better to use a proxy instead a native max instance, since it takes less memory (geometry is loaded dinamically from disk), and other benefits.

Actually, to use proxies in Forest it's necessary to convert the trees to instances using "Forest Tools". With dense forests, this may be slow because Max is not optimized to handle huge number of objects in the scene. Forest 3.2 creates the proxies automatically before rendering, using native MR/VRay engines. For Maxwell, there must not be differences, besides other fixes and improvements (not related with proxies), that are included in the release.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

DIMITRIS

Re: Difference between proxies and instances?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:00:57 AM »
Thank you for your answer... So, with a quadcore and 4Gb RAM, or a I7-920 +8Gb Ram (this one I am about to order) there will no problem ;)
I will sign it only if it is a piece of art!