Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: edge mode area  (Read 1332 times)

amitgedia

edge mode area
« on: March 21, 2017, 01:07:52 PM »
hi,
i am trying to create a lawn area and trying to use the edge mode. i want to restrict the lawn to certain limits so that it doesnt intersect or overlap with the surrounding walls or the center pathway that i am going to create but unfortunately i am doing something wrong i suppose so not getting the results which i want so please help
thanks in advance...

Note : attaching the .max file on which i am working

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: edge mode area
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 01:31:35 PM »
Hi,

First let me mention, that there are two view-port modes to maintain the best performance possible:

"The Edge Mode does not preview in view-ports by default - To improve view-port performance edge trimming is calculated only at render time. This means the effects of the this mode will not be previewed in the view-ports. However, previews can be enabled by holding down the left CTRL key and clicking on the Edge radio button."

In your case, as you already have the "Line to Exclude" shape - disabling the Surface Area and using that Spline Area in the Include mode would be recommendable. Attaching modified scene. Another possible way would be to Detach the "top" polygon of used surface "Terrace Grass Line 002" and use as a surface just that one (without vertical faces, which might influence the distribution).

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

amitgedia

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 03:33:19 PM »
Hi,
Thanks a lot Michal for the help... I know at times simplest things also become difficult  to do and you just made my day and saved my time...
Also one more thing, from top viewport I am making a C shaped spline and giving it a min thickness and the extruding it to half an inch. Here i want to distribute some flowers on just the front faces ie : on the 3 front faces, but when I do so it distributes on just the front face (viewing from front view) but both the side faces remains blank they don't get distributed with the flowers, so I made 3 different polygon and used 3 different forest objects to distribute flowers, I think this is a wrong approach and it can be achieved by one forest object and 3 sided polygon, I tried to follow the post that showed how to distribute objects on steps but I failed, so any tips and method that I need to follow...

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
Hi,

You're welcome. Glad to hear, that it helped. For more complex surfaces, I would suggest you to try the Surface - UV mode, which in some situations might suit it better than the default XY (where sometimes you'll need to combine multiple Forest objects). As mentioned in our on-line reference guide: "The UV mode uses the mapping coordinates of the surface as alignment guide for the Distribution map. This mode is best used on rough terrains or to scatter items over convex 3D objects (as a sphere). Note that using this mode, the UV coordinates must be precisely defined to get a coherent result."

Please feel free to check our "Scattering on Vertical Surfaces" tutorial, where you can find several useful tips regarding this topic.

Best regards,

amitgedia

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:01:02 PM »
Hi Michal,
you made my day again mate, see it was so simple to do and yet again i was breaking my head, i am sorry for simply disturbing you but as you know working alone and working with team-mates makes a lot of difference and you are the one that is like god sorting out problems atleast in my case...
thanks again for the help... cheers mate....