Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: How to glue forest to animated object?  (Read 1400 times)

CQ4380

How to glue forest to animated object?
« on: March 31, 2017, 06:40:13 PM »
Hey

We have some heavy scatter on top of animated object (it just moved no deformation) I noticed that the only way to glue the 2 together is to check "Auto udpate" surface, but that is very very slow with animation. Is there another way of doing it?

Regards
Dariusz

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: How to glue forest to animated object?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 09:21:32 AM »
Hi, please try this:

- Link Forest object to the surface, so both move together.
- Switch Forest to Custom Edit mode (Tree Editor).
- Be sure Surface Auto update is off.
- In the Surface rollup, turn off "Link to Surface" (find it just at the bottom), and click "Place items".

In this way, items are not updated anymore from their position, and the Forest object can be moved freely.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

CQ4380

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 10:16:52 AM »
Hey

Uu very interesting ! Thank you! Will try it straight away. Using auto update was talking quite long time for us for each frame.

Regards
Dariusz

CQ4380

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:33:53 AM »
Hey

Humh that kinda don't work. All the area paths and so on are now disabled. The density of items also changed.  I can no longer control spawn location by texture. Also instead of 150k items in my current camera the count dropped down to 8k items. I cant increase density.

Not sure... how to match the result I had before? I can't hand place thousand of trees...

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
Hi, the procedure described above is a way to "hold" the distribution of items. So you should apply it once have the final distribution, and don't want to modify it anymore.
Meanwhile, just switch back to "Generate" mode and make the changes needed.

Obviously this method doesn't work if distribution must change along the animation, but i assume this is not necessary for your needs.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

CQ4380

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 01:26:16 PM »
Hey

But when I apply the "Custom Edit" mode then the trees get re-scattered as well as down-scattered. Instead of 150k I get 8k trees.

What am I doing wrong here?

Nothing changes during animation. Just base geometry moves around to accommodate the animation needs.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 01:58:46 PM »
Hi,

I would suggest you to disable the Display - View-port - Max items limit (by setting it to 0). This way, you'll be sure, that all distributed items in the Generate mode will pass into the Custom Edit mode. Also please double check, you're not using the Distribution Map - Collisions feature (having the Preview in View-port option disabled) - as this would be performed during the "conversion" too. Hope that helps.

Best regards,