Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: tint by object, boundarie and altitude problem  (Read 1498 times)

manel_reig

tint by object, boundarie and altitude problem
« on: August 21, 2021, 10:04:05 PM »
Hello,

I encountered some problems while trying to use the tint effects. I am trying to use this effects to make a transition between two materials in a forest object. They are some rocks near the water, and the ones that are inside or near water should have one material (Mat A), the ones more far away from the water anoter one (Mat B).

1- I am using a vray blent material with the two materials, and as a mask the forest color. The problem araises when one of the two materials or both have also a forest color inside. I would like to use this second forest color to give map variation on the scattered objects. The override is off as the manual says but anyway it seems not to work, I get a white color on the elements with that material. Is this expected result? or should I be able to use a forest color inside the material?

with forest color inside one of the materials (override off) white result:

without forest color result as "expected" but with no map variation:

2 - When trying to use the "tint by object" effect. It looks like only the center of the object tells forest pack where to start the tint. The whole object is considered as if it was a single point. Is that an expected result? or should it recognise the whole object? In the image, the water is the object used for the effect

I attach a 3ds max 2018 file
Thank you!

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: tint by object, boundarie and altitude problem
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 01:55:22 PM »
Hi,

Well, this effect isn't meant for blending multiple materials with "different" Forest Color maps. For these purposes, I would suggest you a slightly different workflow - mix wet and dry rocks with help of the Change items by altitude effect which isn't using the Forest Color map. This way you can adjust each material easily and tweak the Texture & Tint randomization as needed.

Best regards,

manel_reig

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 01:41:08 PM »
thank you for your answer, yes, that would probably do the job! will try it

I tryed to do it this way after reading this tutorial:https://www.itoosoft.com/tutorials/introduction-to-effects?back=page%3D7%26tag%3Dforestpack

where it says: Tint by Boundary and Tint By Object are two included effects that allow you control a Forest Colour map based on an item's distance from either an include spline or an object. Our tint based effects are set up to change the colour from white to black so that a Forest Colour map can be used to blend between two other maps or materials.

maybe it is just outdated or I did not understood it properly
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 01:43:07 PM by manel_reig »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »
Hi,

it should be possible to combine the two. I've prepared a test scene (attached) to show how it could be done. The most important thing is to ensure that Override is disabled for the map in the blend mask slot, but remains enabled for the others.

I hope that helps,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

manel_reig

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 09:43:21 PM »
thank you! activating override on the forest color that is not acting as a mask and setting the strength to "0% to 0%" works like a charm  :D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 10:12:54 PM by manel_reig »