Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: freezing forest object  (Read 3924 times)

link3d

freezing forest object
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:54:52 AM »
Hi,

i´m new to forestpro, quite impressive piece of software, as everybody at the vrayforum said.

Is it possible to "freeze" the forest or to set minimum settings while working on the scene - everytime im working with the camera or the surface object forestpro (of course) tries to update, also before an after rendering....

Hmm, tried tor freece, hide forest, changed the cam to another "working" camera, tried to extremely upsize the distribution map to get less trees while working, tried to increase the distr.map.thresh., tried to decrese the tree count....

still terribly slow, also just using one core (cpu threads automatic?)

Matthias
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:37:58 AM by RB3301 »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: freezing forest object
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 12:17:11 PM »

Yes, you can freeze the selected Forest turning on "Display->Manual update", or all the objects with "Display->Freeze All".

Sometimes, depending of the area extents, would be useful to disable the camera clipping, so the Forest object is not updated every time that camera changes. To do this, turn off "Camera->Auto assign to active view" and click the Clear button to remove the current camera assignment.

Anyways, if you send us a sample scene including the Forest object, we would suggest the best way to optimize it.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

link3d

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 03:25:11 PM »
Hero member - really impressiv!

freezing and auto assign really helped, thanks a lot (sometimes i should better read the WHOLE help manual...)

what about the multicore feature - forestpro statistics finds my quadcore (8 virtual ones) correctly, the taskmanager only shows reaction on one core....

Matthias

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 05:07:18 PM »

It's very difficult to see the multicore efficiency in the task manager, because not all the Forest tasks are multithread. Some of them cannot be exectuted in parallel and other depend of Max (as redrawing, mesh managing and others).

You can compare the improvement of using multiple cores in this way:

1) Open the Forest Stats window (General properties)
2) Click Display->Update to rebuild the object and see the "Build Time" value
3) Repeat and compare between using CPU Threads->Auto on (multicore) with CPU Threads = 0 (single core)

Please, post here the results. I'm curious to know why your scene responds so slow, and how can we improve it.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software