Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Forest Multi Material - Where is it in the new version  (Read 7780 times)

UI4801

Forest Multi Material - Where is it in the new version
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »
Gentlemen, I've recently installed the latest version 3.1 and am running max2009 x64.

In the older versions (planes material) we had the option to use multi-sub object in the material editor and then in the forest properties under material WE HAD THE OPTION TO GIVE THE PERCENTAGE OF THOSE MULTI MATERIALS TO BE USED IN A SINGLE FOREST OBJECT. So the end result is that within one forest objst we had the possibility to have multiple trees by giving the percentage under the forest roll out.

Is that possibility not available any more? I seriously doubt and sure i am just stupid enough not to know how. Please advise.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.Ranjit

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Forest Multi Material - Where is it in the new version
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
Forest 3 uses materials in a differenty way than Forest 2. Please see this topic:

http://www.itoosoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=148.0

The migration guide from Forest 2:

http://www.itoosoft.com/english/menu.php?id=forest_changesfrom2

And the basic tutorial, that is adapted to the new version:

http://www.itoosoft.com/english/menu.php?id=forest_tutorial_basic1

To use your Forest 2 material libraries, we have included an importing tool in 3.1:

http://www.itoosoft.com/english/menu.php?id=forest_library_editor

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:44:19 AM by Itoo »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

UI4801

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 02:39:36 PM »
Hello Support, I went thru the links posted on your reply BUT quiet honestly its very confusing. I guess ishould do the tutorials to understand the new multi-sub mat. Meanwhile i read on one of those links Itoo talking about a tutorial for this particular issue? Is that available yet..If not would you be able to write up a quick tutorial for the same. What i would like to do is as below.

I would like to create multi material (various types of trees) within one forest object and want to give percentage say 60 % Tree1 and 40 % Tree2. Can you please write down simple steps A.B.C to do just the above :)

Thanks in advance. Ranjit

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 04:26:11 PM »

Ok, i will try to explain it. First, an essential rule:

You don't need to use multi materials, use single materials instead.. and these materials must not be applied to Forest, but selected as parameters in the plugin. Following your example:

1) Create two standard materials, Tree1 and Tree2 in the material editor
2) Create a Forest object
2) Go to to "Modify" panel and open "Geometry" rollout. Each type of tree is defined in the "Geometry List", and each type have some parameters associated ("Properties" box). These parameters are: type of geometry (disabled, template, custom), width, height, z-offset, center, probability and MATERIAL.
3) Click "Material" button (below Probability parameter). On the material browser be sure that "Mtl Editor" is selected and pick your "Tree1" material.
4) Assign 60% to the probability parameter
5) Create a new type of tree, using the "Add" button below the "Geometry List"
6) Assign properties to the new item (it must be selected on the list): use "Material" button and pick "Tree2".
7) Set probability to 40%

That's all. You have created two types of trees, one with material "Tree1", prob. 60% and other using "Tree", prob. 40%. As you can see, for each one of them you may define other parameters as well: geometry, width, height and more.

We have not used any multi material or assigned a material to the object, Forest does it automatically. It collects all materials defined for each type of tree, and builds a multi material that assign to itself (this process is transparent to the user).

I know this is very different of how Forest 2 works, but the new system is much more flexible. As example, now you can use as custom mesh a tree that use multiple materials (trunk, leaves...). This was not possible in Forest 2, as each type of tree only may have a unique ID material. Or you can define multiple geometries in a single Forest object (tree1 as One Plane, tree2 as custom mesh...).

All these concepts are shown visually in the basic tutorial video.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software