Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Open forest pro files with forest lite  (Read 2140 times)

Correntes

Open forest pro files with forest lite
« on: February 19, 2015, 03:51:11 PM »
What will happen if i open a 3ds max file with forest pro objects with a max with forest lite installed ?

Will it mess up my forest objects ?

Can i render the objects ?

Thanks in advance.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Open forest pro files with forest lite
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »
Hi,

In case, that the scene is using some of "Pro" version features (for example like more than three types of plants by object, more than four areas by object or scattering over uneven surfaces ...), it'll be not rendered properly. Full list of locked features for the Lite version could be found in our Forest Pack's on-line reference guide.

Anyway, please note, that's possible to use any scene containing Forest objects even on computers without Forest Pack installed. The conversion could be done by using very powerful tool which is part of Forest Pack Pro called "Forest Tools". This allows you export your scattered geometry as instances. It can be found it under Utilities panel - More ... - Forest Tools. Please check this reference. You have a lot of possibilities what will happen with your instances after conversion to mesh (for example moving all instances to new layer is very useful).

So, to avoid any issues on computers without Forest Pack Pro, we recommend to use Forest Tools to convert all Forest objects to instances.

Kind regards,

cc8boy

• I'll do my best.Welcome to www.c7design.cn .
    • C7design
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:39:34 AM »
But the effect of forest color material will disappear after using the Forest Tools. Will you develop a new material not need to depend on Forest Pro Object ?
We are working hard in virtual effects in 3DSMAX. Welcome to our website in China.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 05:59:58 PM »
I'm afraid it's not possible. Forest Color requires certain data structures (as the hierarchy or elements and others), which are generated and handled by Forest.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

in3des

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »
Hi,
I have a similar question ...
After I convert forest object to instances with Forest Utility - all object are now proxies, this is ok.
I send the scene to my friend, and he said 3dmax keep asking forest plugin when opening a scene. I checked materials and found there is still ForestColor map assigned (so maybe this is the reason why that message pops out)
Is there an option to convert materials also, so ForestColor map no longer used. Maybe you can add some tick-box for the future USE/REMOVE forest color map.

Thanks.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 08:52:25 PM »
Hi, 
Yes, that would be a nice feature for Forest Tools. I've added it to our to-do list.

Thanks for your suggestion,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

in3des

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 11:28:05 PM »
btw
if he install forest lite - will it work?
does forest lite support ForestColor map ?
thx

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:38:07 AM »
Yes, it should work to avoid the missing plugin error. Although Forest Color will have not effect because it's applied to Forest objects only.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

in3des

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 11:23:01 AM »
Ok, thanks for explanation how this work.
Then we really need option to remove ForestColor map, so main texture connected to diffuse slot directly after converting forest object to instances.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
Well, when the geometry is not a Forest object, Forest Color applies the texture defined in the "Default" slot. So in most of cases the Forest Lite trick should work flawessly, without need to remove Forest Color from the scene.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

in3des

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 01:38:42 PM »
Hi there,
I just found out forest object was converted to many meshes, and not all are instances.
I had a simple grass using 1 proxy. So now it is converted to about 7-8k meshes, and it's not 1 instance, it's 3 or 4 different instances.
Can you fix that? And is it possible Forest just keep proxies as proxies?
thx

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 05:29:09 PM »
Hi,

That's strange, as all these Forest items (having the proxy object selected as Custom Object) should be converted to instanced proxy objects - VRayProxy / CoronaProxy / mr Proxy pointing to source files (not meshes). Would you please send your scene through WeTransfer to support@itoosoft.com to check it here? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

in3des

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 07:27:05 PM »
sorry, my mistake...
I got mess with different scenes
in this one I used forest grass preset, so its not a proxy.

if so, maybe there could be an option so forest convert geometry meshes to proxies and only then to instances?
thx