Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: unexpected and strange behaviour of cpu using forest pro  (Read 2229 times)

MB2651

unexpected and strange behaviour of cpu using forest pro
« on: March 30, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »
I'm monitoring the cpu usage during rendering process with 3dmax and forest pro and I note a unespected and very strage (at least for me) of the cpu and memory usage.
when I click render first the memory (ram) usage increase until almost its limit (100%) and only after that the CPU usage (power) start increase.
I never saw that before.

Other issue I'm having  is a scene made with forest light, that opened normaly before, now is loading for 40 minutes and not open with forest pro.

I need help please,

Thanks in advance

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: unexpected and strange behaviour of cpu using forest pro
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »

What render engine do you use ? From our tests, the RAM and CPU usage seems normal, we dont get that 100% spike. Please, try to reproduce the problem in a stripped scene and send it to us.

About the faulty scene, there are not significative differences between Forest Lite and Pro loading the files. Usually these problems are caused by missing textures or references, although 40 min. is too much. As before, please send us the scene and will check it.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

MB2651

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 08:15:31 PM »
I'm using 3d max 2010 with mental ray
processor AMD x4, 8 gb ram

Concerning the CPU usage, Its working, but looks strange to me that my ram limit is achieved in a  relatively small scene (i have already render a similar scene before), but a ithink its need a better setup in forest objects (grass and trees) for large scene (aerial view).

Now the falling scene its very very strange because nothing was changed, The scene is heavy but I opened several times without error before,using forest light. I update to forest pro last week and I can not open the scene even to try delete some objects.

Its impossible to send you stripped scene and the original scene is too heavy to send you.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »

Mental Ray is not specially efficient rendering large scenes. For efficiency issues, we recommend to keep the number total of items under 500k for this renderer (see the  Rendering Best Practices guide). Probably the RAM spike is caused by the GI engine, allocating memory for all the elements.

Its impossible to send you stripped scene and the original scene is too heavy to send you.
You would try merging the objects in a new scene, with and without the Forest elements. Unfortunately there is not much we can do without checking the scene.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

MB2651

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »
I'm not using GI but i'm using caustic for simulate water in a pool. using this together with final gater could be the cause too.

All the forest object in the scene amounts to slightly more than 500 K
I will try to refine the scene reducing the bigger grass field.

I will try merging the objects of the falling scene excluding the objects that I think can be the cause of error.

Thanks for your help,

Rodrigo