Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Forest Wire and Masks question  (Read 4769 times)

TO4398

Forest Wire and Masks question
« on: October 30, 2017, 04:25:57 PM »
Hello could some1 help me and explain how to set up wire color or mask color for Forest object not forest element (tree) in Corona. I tried 5-6 ways but the only way to get masks is by setting color or object buffer ID in the tree itself. So my question is if there is a way to set up the entire forest object with various trees in 1 single wire color or mask color?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Forest Wire and Masks question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 04:51:42 PM »
Hi,

As mentioned in this related post on our forum:

" ... the FP object has not effect on CMasking_Mask, but it does the geometry associated to it. That can be used for a quick workaround:
  • Open the 3ds max's Select by Name tool and turn on Select - Select Influences.
  • Select the Forest object & related Custom Objects will be selected automatically aswell.
  • Crate a named Selection Set.
  • Assign the Selection Set under the CMasking_Mask."
Hope that helps.

Best regards,

TO4398

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 05:34:34 PM »
Hi Michal thnx but I can select the forest objects myself and to this but then since I have 3-4 forests I get the same mask since I used same objects in various forests. What I want to achive is that each forest is like a cluster so I have different colors for masks. Is it possible or not?

Thnx

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 12:43:47 PM »
Hi,

In such case, I would suggest you to use the CMasking_Mask's Material GBuf ID option - make a copy of used material(s), change the G-Buffer ID and assign these modified materials to the other Forest objects under the Geometry > Material. Attaching screen-shots.

Best regadrs,

James Vella

• https://www.jamesvella.net/
    • James Vella - 3D Visualizations
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 09:44:58 AM »
We will be seeing any upgrades targeted for corona users - especially being able to use the Color ID or similar behaviour to vray for masking etc? This is a good work around but its still a long winded way of doing it.

Cheers

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 04:04:43 PM »
No, sorry. This is something we cannot change from our side, because Forest has not control over the instancing process in Corona.
Forest just provides to Corona all data about the items to scatter, and they decide how to handle them.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

James Vella

• https://www.jamesvella.net/
    • James Vella - 3D Visualizations
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 07:38:20 PM »
Thanks for the information!