Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Very slow forstpack command pannel  (Read 4355 times)

JS3859

Very slow forstpack command pannel
« on: September 17, 2019, 08:27:56 PM »
Hello , forestpack pro 6.22 on 3dsmax 2020 command panel takes along time to open after selection , i read about stopping any JAVA apps if there any running in the background , i tried but the problem is still the same. beside i dont have java in my pc  any solutions?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Very slow forstpack command pannel
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 04:36:21 PM »
Hi,

Sorry to hear you're facing these troubles. Would you mind to specify your actual software configuration (also the OS & renderer versions used)? Up to now, we can't reproduce this problem here and any additional info is welcome. Meanwhile, please feel free to have visible just some roll-outs (these you are frequently using) - you can edit the Global Settings from the General rollout as desired (attaching screen-shot) to check if that helps. Thanks in advance for any further comments on this issue.

Best regards,

JS3859

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 08:57:36 PM »
Im using windows 10 pro with the latest updates , 3dsmax 2020.2 , Vray next update 2.1 last  , floor generator , bitmap relink , rappa tools 3

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 08:33:48 AM »
How much time (approximately) does it take to open the command panel ?
Normal time should be around 1 to 2 seconds.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Dragan

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 09:38:17 AM »
FP: Only first time around 8 sec. After that no delay.
RC4: Around 7 sec. each time.

3dsmax 2015
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:49:23 AM by Dragan »

Aaron Quinn

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 12:18:54 PM »
I have sent a support ticket but would like to take part for other users to see here too.

I am using:
3ds Max 2019.2
Corona 4.1
FP Pro 6.2.1

I am having the same experiences as the users here. Where the command panel is very slow to open for the first time. I have changed the general tab and unticked every tab so that there is nothing to load. I found the problem was loading in the forest templates. Once these templates are in the scene the command panel loads instantly and I have no problem creating further forest packs. It's just this initial creation can take around 30 seconds. I have tried closing any background java tasks but find no difference here.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »
Thanks for your feedback.

It seems they are different issues, specially between RC4 and FP6.
We'll investigate them, although for some reason we cannot reproduce any delay in our tests, using different computers and Max versions (except the known issue with Java tasks).

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 09:37:49 AM »
Regarding the Forest issue, please try disabling the "Collecting Paths" procedure, as described in this post, and tell us if that helped:
https://forum.itoosoft.com/forest-pro-(*)/forest-pack-is-collecting-maps/msg21899/#msg21899

Dragan, please would create a new post in the RailClone Pro beta forum, to discuss the RC4 delay ?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:47:29 AM by iToo »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

JS3859

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 05:26:59 PM »
i tried to disable collect path and the delay problem still the same with forest pack

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 09:07:29 AM »
i tried to disable collect path and the delay problem still the same with forest pack

Do you notice if the 3DS Max interface is laggy as well, or does it happen only with Forest Panel ?
The Forest interface is complex with a lot of rolloups, so if the 3DS Max UI is not working well, the problem will be worse using Forest.

Searching similar issues in Autodesk forums, i found this one:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/very-slow-menus-in-max-2018/td-p/7096480

Is your case like this ?
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Aaron Quinn

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 12:14:14 PM »
Hi All,

As this has not been resolved and we seem to be struggling to communicate the problem here. I have recorded the issue first hand on my end and have uploaded to give you an idea.

The creation of the Forest Templates is definitely the issue as you can see. Could this be a problem with the user paths? Where are the templates located? Is it a network problem loading them? Maybe permissions to the folder itself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nSztZrXbsI&feature=youtu.be

Rokas

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »
OK lets try to troubleshoot the issue.
Please download logging tool- process monitor (free windows application).

Open it and set up:
1 You need only File System Activity selected:

2 Enable Autoscroll:

3. Once you see list of programs scrolling look for 3dsmax.exe.
disable autoscroll, find 3dsmax.exe, rightclick it and use Include '3dsmax.exe'

Now only 3dsmax activity will be visible in the log.
Try doing what is causing the slowdown for You and watch the log.
Once 3dsmax freezes do a screenshot (where "Time" and "Path" are fully visible) of the Process Monitor and send it to us.

Thanks in advance for any further comments on this issue you can share with us / our user community (in case some user(s) will run into similar troubles).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:56:15 AM by Rokas »
Rokas

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 09:22:18 AM »
The creation of the Forest Templates is definitely the issue as you can see. Could this be a problem with the user paths? Where are the templates located? Is it a network problem loading them? Maybe permissions to the folder itself?

Hi, thanks for the detailed information.

I'm checking the Forest code which creates the templates, but cannot see why it may cause such problems:

1) It creates a hidden and frozen layer to store the templates ("forest_templates").
2) Templates are loaded in the scene, reading the definition from C:\Program Files\Itoo Software\Forest Pack Pro\geometry\index.dat (a text file), and merging the geometry from C:\Program Files\Itoo Software\Forest Pack Pro\geometry\objects\geometry1.max

The location of these files is defined by the following registry key (really it defines the main folder of Forest files):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Itoo Software\Forest Pack Pro\MainDir

Please, check if you can merge in an empty scene the content of geometry1.max, and the above registry key has not been modified.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Rokas

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 01:24:48 PM »
To continue what we discovered in Aaron situation. Hopefully this will help other users with similar symptoms.

Their studio were using "dirty" template startup file. So recommendation is to use max file cleaning​ utility such as Prune Scene.
It clears file of leftover things that max is known to leave. In this exact report "Anim Layers" were the bottleneck. Clearing all the things also reduce file size.

​Hopefully this will help users with slow performing 3ds Max scenes.
Rokas