Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: FPColor ID 0 for gravel preset appearing in render  (Read 1486 times)

FC1888

FPColor ID 0 for gravel preset appearing in render
« on: April 28, 2019, 06:10:49 PM »
Have just had this happen and can't figure out why

Forest Pack version 6.2.0 and V-Ray Next for 3ds Max, update 1.2

Gravel preset is Golden Gravel Smooth - Large Area

Yet when I hit render it look like this (image 1)

It appears that ID 2 of the Forest material FPColor ID 0 is being rendered ( I don't even understand what ID 2 is for to be honest ) (image 2)

All materials are correct, in their correct directories and Max doesn't see any missing maps. I fact where it says FOUND in the Asset manager, I like to correct it so it says OK, but adding the correct path(s)

Have never seen FP do this before. Is this a bug, is there a way to fix it. I just don't understand what's going wrong here

FC1888

Re: FPColor ID 0 for gravel preset appearing in render
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 01:26:45 PM »
Thought I had fixed this.. When I increased the viewport MAX ITEMS, it appeared to render correctly, but only a region, when I tried the full render, it was the same. However, after deleting the FP object and reassigning it, then optimising materials, to see it that would work, it was close, but still rendering pink gravel.. I don't know what else to do or try. It's driving me mad

Close but no cigar

EDIT. I updated FP to the very latest version, but same thing

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:40:07 PM by FC1888 »

Rokas

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 02:07:54 PM »
Hi

I want to note that 1st material link in above picture is the real material that should be edited. 2nd is internal for ForestPack. It is helper and should not be touched by user.

Please do not connect that manually :

Anyway, if You could attach Your maxfile we could check Your scene.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:11:30 PM by Rokas »
Rokas

FC1888

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 02:40:19 PM »
Thing is, I am not editing the material. I have a surface, I add the FP object, I assign the preset and it's still rendering the pink gravel. I get no error saying max items exceeded etc. All maps are there. Everything its looking good, until I try to render it and boom, pink gravel.

I have tried increasing max items, which at one point appeared to work, but only for a region render, so my first guess was memory problem. But why would it be rendering pink gravel. I totally understand that it's an internal for Forest Pack and as I say, I have mode no attempt to edit the material, only to make sure al the maps are present and correct in Asset Manager, which they are

FC1888

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 05:28:18 PM »
Very strange.... Maybe I should have mentioned this, but I was using IPR, but just to see what happened I switched to normal production render and suddenly it renders the gravel perfectly.. Now that's weird. As I've said before, I've never seen it render pink gravel before and I have got into the habit of using IPR and progressive rendering, to render every scene I have created. As for memory, this is one of the smaller scenes, so it's definitely not that.. and is only consuming just over 8Gb (I have 32Gb).. Many of my latest scenes, consume over 12Gb and render just fine using IPR.

Something for me to to be aware of in future I guess, but the thing is, rendering using IPR, if I spot something odd, that needs a small tweak, colour, light etc., then I can simply adjust it and let it run. But hey, I guess IPR isn't really the way to do  production rendering and is really only for tweaking a scene, getting materials and lighting looking right, then you are supposed to run the production render.

Still confused as to why it's never done this before though, possibly something to do with a recent update, who knows, but all is well now

Cheers

Rokas

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 06:01:31 PM »
Something for me to to be aware of in future I guess, but the thing is, rendering using IPR, if I spot something odd, that needs a small tweak, colour, light etc., then I can simply adjust it and let it run. But hey, I guess IPR isn't really the way to do  production rendering and is really only for tweaking a scene, getting materials and lighting looking right, then you are supposed to run the production render.

Exactly. IPR has many limitations and some features are missing. We can't fix many issues that IPR brought with it's implementation.

Anyway with Your mentioned preset I do get good results even with all different IPRs:  CPU IPR, CPU viewport IPR, GPU IPR and GPU viewort IPR.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 06:04:55 PM by Rokas »
Rokas

FC1888

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 06:18:19 PM »

Exactly. IPR has many limitations and some features are missing. We can't fix many issues that IPR brought with it's implementation.

Anyway with Your mentioned preset I do get good results even with all different IPRs:  CPU IPR, CPU viewport IPR, GPU IPR and GPU viewort IPR.

Yeah, same here, I have been able to render this gravel preset in other scenes and as I said, this is the first time it's done this and I just don't have a clue why, but thanks for the reply. At least I can get this job sorted now.