Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Load times on files with XRefs  (Read 1657 times)

VanWijnen

Load times on files with XRefs
« on: April 02, 2019, 03:23:40 PM »
Hi,

I'm about to finish up a project in which I've used Railclone  (sidewalks, curbs, streets and blinds) and Forestpack (large grass area, trees, a large garden with 1000s of flowers). These scenes got pretty heavy so when finished I inserted them into the file which contains my building as XRefs. There are a total of 4 XRefs ranging from 7Mb to 1,5GB. As far as I know this is the best way to lessen the load and make the files as workable as possible.

When trying to open the file my laptop often freezes or takes 10-20min to open the file. I'm sure it has something to do with the XRefs, since it opens really quick when I delink them. Is there anything to be done to make it wore workable? Even turning the XRefs on/off takes forever.

Laptop shouldn't be the problem and I'm not using a virtual environment nor am I on a network.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Load times on files with XRefs
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 10:48:41 AM »
Hi,

I would suggest you to check your scene for the "Retimers issue" as there is a known 3ds Max's bug, which is affecting XRef objects. Feel free to you to use the Cleaner script did by Andreas Meissner, also the Clean Retimers script works very well. If that's the case, on Autodesk's Community you can find more about this 3ds Max's bug and how to remove it using MAXSript (apart of scripts listed above).

Are you using any Proxy objects? Would you mind to specify your configuration (which 3ds max & renderer releases are you using)? Thanks in advance for any further comments on this issue you can share with us.

Best regards,

VanWijnen

Re: Load times on files with XRefs
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 03:02:46 PM »
Hi Michal,

I'm using 3ds max 2018 with Vray Next update 1.1. Haven't done the most recent FP and RC updates yet.

I've run the script and there weren't any retimer issues but for some reason the scene had 1600+ animation layers. I'm hoping this makes a difference. Of the Xrefs there's only 1 new one that uses proxies for the cars. I've added that after the problems started.