Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Why doesn`t Planes Material work anymore?  (Read 7639 times)

Ramboll

Why doesn`t Planes Material work anymore?
« on: September 17, 2008, 03:52:22 PM »
Hi!

I`m having huge dilemma. We are about to upgrade to MAX 2009 and Forest Pack 3.03.
We have been using Forest Pack in all of our projects for a couple of years now. Very often we have to go back to some old projects and make some changes, but the (new) old forest pack v2.... for MAX 2009 can`t handle Planes Material anymore, WHY? Do we have to convert all of the forest objects that uses Planes Material in our older projects? This is alot of work!

I hope you have a simple solution for me

Best Regards

Bjørnar

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Why doesn`t Planes Material work anymore?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 05:15:20 PM »

The plugins of Forest 2 for max 2009, includes Planes Material as well, and it's compatible with old scenes. What error do you get exactly ?

If you like, with FP 3.03 also is possible to import automatically libraries of Planes Material, and add the items to the Library Browser (see the video tutorial on our website), but if i understand your question, you want to use Planes Material with objects of Forest 2. Is this correct ?

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Ramboll

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:41:07 AM »
To be honest with you, I haven`t testet that much myself. A colleague of mine have upgraded both 3ds MAX and forest pack and he gets an error when he tries to open the material editor with planes material. All the forest objects that uses planes material is invisible in the scene. One thing I forgot to mention was that it is only like this when we use Mental Ray.
To say it short; We want to be able to open old projects that uses Forest Pro 2.4 without having to convert the planes material to standard material. At the moment it seams that the Forest Pack v2.4 for MAX 2009 is not compatible with Planes Material when we use Mental Ray.

Ramboll

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 09:35:29 AM »
I have attached the error message we get.
This pops up once we change to Mental Ray.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 04:48:23 PM »

This error shows a problem with the shader for Mental Ray, probably because is not installed. Please, check that you have copied "fshader.mi" and "fshader.dll" files, as described in the FAQ:

If you are using Max 7 / Viz 2006 or above: from the same folder version, copy the file "shaders\include\FShader.mi" into the folder "mentalray\shaders_autoload\include" inside 3D Studio. Repeat with "shaders\shaders\FShader.dll" into "mentalray\shaders_autoload\shaders". These files are the shaders needed for Mental Ray. They may also be installed in a shared folder of shaders if you know how to do it (for more information see the 3D Studio and Mental Ray manuals).

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Ramboll

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:47:13 AM »
Hi again

We sorted out the problem, my colleague had put the saders in the wrong folder. Everything works perfectley now. Thank you for all the help and sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards

Bjørnar