Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Wind in grass using an 'Effect' ?  (Read 934 times)

Notion_1

Wind in grass using an 'Effect' ?
« on: April 26, 2023, 09:15:29 PM »
Hello,

I have seen the recent tutorial on animating grass using the 'Transform' roll out.  And I've also animated wind with growfx (time consuming and requires knowledge from the beginning of the project that the client might want an animation).  And then of course there is the old old tutorial where you apply a 'bend' modifier and animate the object itself using modifiers.

With that background, Forest Effects seem incredibly powerful.  It occurs to me that a great 'preset' to have would be a wind type animation for grasses\trees.

I tried to use 'Bend by Object' but it seemed to care about the objects pivot center for the 'distance' rather than distance to the objects surface, for example.  So rather than slide a rippled surface over the tops of grasses it just seems to bend in relation to the objects center, not its ripples.  So far I haven't really found another good Forest Effect to use but that might be my lack of imagination.

Long story short:  In the long term it would be awesome to see that preset, in the short term any tips to 'hack' an existing effect to create wind in trees\grass would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!
Daniel

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Wind in grass using an 'Effect' ?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 10:29:58 AM »
Hi Daniel,

Driving the Transforms with an animated Noise map would be one of the possible ways. We could create an effect that you add an animated Noise map to, but it'd be the same thing. We'll see what can be done in future versions.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

ST3200

Re: Wind in grass using an 'Effect' ?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 02:59:05 PM »
+1 It'd would be super cool !