Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: working from home again... internet license question  (Read 1822 times)

mynewcat

working from home again... internet license question
« on: September 29, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »
Hiya - with reference to this post

http://forum.itoosoft.com/index.php?topic=2659.msg10078#msg10078

I want to use my licence from home (well, while working abroad) and use the licence over the internet.

In this message it was said that:
Yes, configuring the firewall/router in the office, you would use the Network license from home. The License Server uses port TCP 16720.
Ideally the server should accessible by a secure VPN connection, but it's not necessary.

Once configured, just set Network License mode in your home computer, but specifying the IP of the server instead automatic mode.

What exactly do you have to do to "configure" these things.

I don't want to disturb the guys working in the office that provides my internet - so I would like to minimise how much I spend asking them to mess around with the router.

the router is an EE BrightBox

http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/home-broadband/bright-box-wireless-router/bright-box-advanced-user-guides/bright-box-router-set-up-port-forwarding

So am I setting up "port forwarding" or am I doing something different?

What do I need to do to that router to make it open so I can use my itoo licence.

Do I need to put the public IP address of the license server (office machine) into my laptop and then that port number?

I used Hamachi LogMeIn and it managed to connect to my Vray licence - but not this licence.

Would anyone be able to give me help with regards to my router?

Does the firewall also need to be configured usually? how do I do that?

I really don't know much about network stuff so "configuring" may seem obvious to some, but not to me - sorry.

Many thanks

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: working from home again... internet license question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
I'm sorry, but this issue is out of our support scope. There are multiples ways to configure a VPN, depending of the security protocol, router capabilities, etc. I'm afraid you will need some IT help for that.

Although it could be done without a VPN, exposing directly the license ports to Internet, it's necessary to configure the firewall correctly. If not, someone would find the open service and connect to it. Very unsafe.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

mynewcat

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 05:29:43 PM »
I'm asking a pretty straightforward question though.

You say "configure your router"

In what way? Do you mean to open the port or is there some other configuration I don't understand?

I am currently managing to use my VRAY licence through a VPN, whereas Itoo plugins aren't working.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 06:05:18 PM »
No, there is nothing special. The procedure is the same than V-Ray, but using a different port. In this case TCP 16720.

Just be sure you specify the IP address of the server (from the setup program or using the "Change License Mode" tool), because the search mode will not work through a VPN.

I hope that helps.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

mynewcat

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 11:01:48 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I got it working.

I think I was typing in the IP that "my IP" website said it was using, rather than the IP my VPN was spitting out.

I still don't really understand what I'm doing, but it works, and that's the main thing, and it didn't involve opening ports etc.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 07:55:16 AM »
No problem, glad it was helpful.  :)
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software