Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: bend by object effect - no motion blur and random glitches  (Read 1440 times)

QN7524

bend by object effect - no motion blur and random glitches
« on: March 02, 2017, 02:24:02 PM »
Hi,

New to the forum, just bought FPP and one of the first things I'm trying to do is have a character bounce through a grass field and have the grass bend around him.

I noticed a couple of problems here

a) The edge of the distance parameter causes 'jumps' in the blades of grass like they are being re-distributed as the collision object approaches.
b) The edges of my surface/scatter area have random glitches as the object moves towards it, again like the distrubtion of the grass is being altered as the object passes through. Very noticable on the edges.
c) I'm using octane and while I can have an instanced object with deformation retain motion blur when scattered; the 'bend by object' effect does not pass this motion blur information to the renderer. Is there any way to have effects use motion blur?

thanks

QN7524

Re: bend by object effect - no motion blur and random glitches
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 02:57:08 PM »
short video showing the problem....

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: bend by object effect - no motion blur and random glitches
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
Hi,

This unwanted behaviour isn't caused by any redistribution, but the interpolation on the "Lean_Out_Distance" seem to be affected by random Transform - Rotation values. Please feel free to try the slightly modified version of this effect. Let me mention, that the downside of this way is applying values assigned to random Rotation Min / Max values directly - to not apply the random Rotation these should be set to 0 (even having the Enable check-box unmarked, these values will be applied).

To be honest, I'm not sure, how the Motion Blur effect for these items is handled as for developers of render engines which don't have a SDK (like Octane, Corona, Thea Render and others) we provide an internal API written in C++ for the 3ds Max SDK. Then they use this data to generate the instances directly in their render engine and therefore the final implementation of all features depends mainly on the way how it's done for that specific render engine. Please feel free to contact Otoy team directly / post on their forum.

Best regadrs,