Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Beta Version for 2017 cannot render basic Tutorial scene in Mental Ray  (Read 714 times)

Doug Gann

Well, I take that back, it renders the scene, and when the renderer reaches the cleaning up stage, Max 17 just crashes hard.

This behavior does not occur in Max 16.

Help!
Doug

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Beta Version for 2017 cannot render basic Tutorial scene in Mental Ray
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:58:03 PM »
Hi Doug,

Sorry to hear you're facing those troubles. Would you mind to send us the minidump file of the crash? Hopefully, it'll point to the problem source.

Is this specific for such tutorial scene (which one) or you face this issue also with another scenes?
Do you have the 3ds Max 2017 Service Pack 2 applied?
Are you able to reproduce these troubles rendering locally / using network rendering or with distributed rendering?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Best regards,

Doug Gann

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 03:08:42 AM »
Hi Michael

There is no mindump file to send, which is what I meant by Hard Crash.  3ds Max just stops, without even an error report.

All service packs are applied and I'm using your basic starter tutorial for Forest Pack and mental ray - the tutorial that starts with a small castle and a boat in the canal.

I'm only rendering locally, and the problem (so far) seems particular to the tutorial file.  Is this issue repeatable on your end?

Thanks for looking into this!
Doug

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:29:10 PM »
Hi Doug,

Thanks for your swift reply. By analysing the tutorial scene, we've found the problem source - it's related to the "mrProxy001" mr Proxy object (it's actually a mental ray bug already reported to Autodesk by several users - as you can double check on Autodesk's forum). Removing if from the scene will fix it.

Best regards,