OK Installed FP 6, agreed to upgrading the already installed version, everything went ok, no errors.
Opened Max 2014, created a plane 100cm x 100 cm, applied FP, opened modify tab, in geometry section, clicked on "Library". chose Common Grass 01 (large) from Library Browser, clicked on "import selected", few seconds later, a plane, with forest pack icon and no grass.
I did nothing out of the ordinary, I changed nothing, I just installed FP6 beta, over the last version, as I have done with all the previous updates and something has gone very very very very wrong.
No point in sending the scene. It's just a single plane with Common Grass 01 (large).
NOTE 01: I doubt it matters, but I am using Vray 3.60.04.
NOTE 02: Plane was drawn in TOP view and not scaled or messed about with
EDIT 01: Layered Lawns, I chose one of them, to apply to the plane and max froze. Left it for over 20 minutes, still froze, so task manager, end task
EDIT 02: Tried using a spline (rectangle) instead of a plane and applied the same Common Grass 01 (large) to it and it worked.. Thought why not try the layered lawn preset Grass Base Layer 1 - Large, with spline. Max froze, still frozen as I type this edit
EDIT 03: I just opened an old scene, done using FP5 and the same Common grass 01 (large) on a simple plane, appeared just fine. Now I am totally confused. However, once it was loaded, I thought, lets try the Layered Lawn preset (Grass Base Layer 01 - Large). So selected the lawn forest object, clicked on Library button, chose Layered Lawns section, picked Grass Base Layer 1 - Large and boom, Max is now frozen again
EDIT 04: OK.. Weird behaviour. When you create a plane, then add FP to it, you see those default planes. Lets say the PLane is "Plane 01". If you look under Surfaces, it is listed. If you now go to the Library Browser, from the Library button, in Geometry and choose say Common Grass 01 (large) and click import selected. You get the Forest Pack Pro icon, but not grass.. If you now look under Surfaces, the plane is no longer listed.
So ok, click on the green plus button and select the plane.. Sure enough plane 01 appears in the list, however, this is far from the ideal workflow.. The plane or which ever surface you click on to apply FP, should not suddenly vanish from the list.
Oh and still haven't figured out what is wrong with the Layered Lawns library, but max freezing, is obviously not a good sign. Maybe there is some new workflow, to use them
I also tried the Vertical library and again, when applied to the plane (vertical one this time) the surface vanishes from the surfaces section, so have to add it.. Not good
EDIT 05. This is weird. My normal way of working, in FP5, was to select say the plane, select FP button in the toolbar, click on the plane, then go to the modify panel, to pick whatever objects or presets I wanted to use, in the Geometry section, deleting the default objects afterward and it worked just fine..
Now I have discovered, that if you select Forest Pro from the Create menu, then choose a library item, then click on the plane, it works. Weird
HOWEVER, this workflow, doesn't cure the freezing, when I select any layered lawns item.
So to end this, slightly over long list.
1) My original workflow for adding FP scatters to a surface, lead to the surface being removed from the list, but doing it the new way, works. However, if using a spline area, the old way works just as it always did
2) The layered lawns library, causes Max to freeze and I have no idea why. perhaps I am missing something. Maybe there is a special way of using them. but Max freezing (not responding) is definitely not good
3) Older FP5 scenes, load and render just fine, as you stated
4) Newer FP6 scenes, render just fine. Vray 3.60.04, once you figure out the workflow, although I would prefer to be able to use the old workflow, that I have grown used to
5) Not tried it with Vray Next beta 1 yet. Vray Next beta 2 comes out this month, so they say and I think it would be best to wait until its final, before risking it with commercial work
6) I've not really tried it with IPR, although I know about the problems, it's never been necessary for me to be able to edit FP or RC objects, which using interactive rendering. Guess I ought to take a look at that later. but I am tired now, so will wait to see what you make of this lot first.
Again apologise for it being so long winded
Oh by the way, the new Vertical Presets are not picking up materials
??. Map directory (C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Itoo Software\Forest Pack Pro\lib\Presets\Vertical\maps, is added to user paths, external files, same as others though