Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Can we hope for better software efficiency in the future at all?  (Read 3748 times)

alyosha82

Hi,

first of all I'm a huge fan and user of your plugins for probably almost 10 years. However they are also the single biggest cause of workflow slow down in medium to large scenes, and far from negligible amount of time is snuffed simply by having to wait for what appears to be super slow ram loading and unloading . Sometimes even without touching the RC or FP objects themselves or going into subobject modes of objects FP is applied to for example.

I noticed max going into 30-60 sec "loading" times whenever I exit an isolation mode in 3DS max and return to the scene where RC objects are present. It does fix the workflow by turning those off and in most cases that's a very viable option, however is this really the best we can do in times when a 128 gb ram and 24-32 core ryzen beasts are almost the norm for professionals?

Any chance your software would take advantage of multi-threaded support in the future or something? Or have an option to increase reserved ram usage so it doesn't keep loading and unloading every time like an old man trying to get through the day. Please modernize somehow.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Can we hope for better software efficiency in the future at all?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 09:14:18 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your confidence in our products and for the feedback.

Any chance your software would take advantage of multi-threaded support in the future or something?

Both plugins already use multi-threading and are optimized for efficiency, where possible. But there are two limiting factors:

a) Not all processes can be parallelized. This is a common issue with all the software, when implementing multi-threading.
b) Plugins are very dependent of the 3DS Max architecture and functions. Many times they must wait for Max processes, which are not multi-thread.

Or have an option to increase reserved ram usage so it doesn't keep loading and unloading every time like an old man trying to get through the day. Please modernize somehow.

Have you tried the Proxy Cache feature we introduced in RC5 ? I guess this is exactly the feature you request.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

alyosha82

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 07:47:09 PM »
Thanks for your reply and explanations, appreciated. No I haven't heard of the proxy cache feature, I'll try it out and see if it helps!

EDIT: Noticed it's a very recent feature, I have turned it on for all the RC modifiers in my current scene and....no more reloading everything every time I fart sideways - THANK GOD! Nice one! This is great! Thanks for the tip!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 07:58:06 PM by alyosha82 »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 08:32:32 AM »
Great. I'm glad we could help.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software