Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Procedural terrain generation  (Read 1700 times)

Jahred

Procedural terrain generation
« on: November 02, 2022, 10:43:26 AM »
Hello,

Don't you think it would be interesting to consider the creation of a new procedural terrain generation plugin on 3ds Max? It is typically a very complementary tool to yours : knowing that scattering tools are improving in the engines, they are taking shares on Forest Pro (Chaos Scatter). I think it would be a good additional asset that would complement and work in synergy with your software suite.

In bulk, the software present in the landscape is either incomplete or abandoned:

- SplineLand, the most accurate with really smart retopology tool but development abandoned years ago, buggy

- TerrainAxe, accurate but requires a lot of manual manipulations to get it right, not sure if you can give precise level points. No idea how it will feel in use

- CityScape, too "rough" when you have precise levels to represent, it's more for large scale urban and its zoning system seems well thought out

Start again from the SplineLand spirit with the retopology improvements integrated to max these last years + zoning synergy like "CityScpae" with Forest and RailClone in support. It would be a dream

When SplineLand crashes too often, I cobble together a manual system with splines, projection modifiers and the retopology + terrain tool. But it's not as efficient.

If anyone has an efficient plugin that I missed, the reference is welcome.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Procedural terrain generation
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 01:55:53 PM »
Hi,

If that helps, in the past i played with World Machine, and it was really nice. It's a separate app, but can export to Max and other engines without problems.

Regarding if we would write our own terrain plugin... it's an interesting idea, but unfortunately our resources are very limited, and currently dedicated to support Forest and RailClone.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Jahred

Re: Procedural terrain generation
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 09:26:36 PM »
Thank you for your answer, resource constraints are of course a priority... but don't lose sight of this plugin possibility that integrates really well with your software offer.

I had already tested World Machine at the time but once again it was too "macro", we often need precise levels in cut and fill, slope, precise ground work driven by splines.

I hope that a more complete and precise terrain solution will be available in the next few years.