Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: RailClone Questions  (Read 10711 times)

beestee

RailClone Questions
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »
I am considering to pick up ParametricArray for the promotional price, but I really don't want to introduce redundant tools if possible.  This brings me to why I am here.  Before purchasing and implementing PA I wanted to see if your alternative to this tool, Rail Clone, is getting anywhere close to a release.  I have a few other reasons to prefer Rail Clone, one of the big ones being the long-standing reliability of support from itoo software, something that the developer of PA has yet to prove.  PA also lacks a few features that I would like, although the developer does seem very open to implementing them.

I have wanted/needed tools such as these for a very long time and I am getting antsy to implement one of them.  ParametricArray is the only one available at the moment so it is making the wait for Rail Clone unbearable.  It's not that I don't want to spend the money on both, it's just that I have had bad experiences with using multiple tools for the same thing, and I can only imagine it could be an absolute nightmare with tools so deep rooted in process such as these.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Ben

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: RailClone Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:14:40 PM »
Well it's not easy to compare RailClone with Parametric Array, since our product has not been released yet. But i think that both products are very different.

PA seems to be very flexible to create complex structures, including nice features as the Maxscript support. It's well suited for advanced users, but perhaps a bit difficult to use. Also, since it's a script not a plugin, the performance may be a problem as well.

In the other hand, we are focusing RaiClone in the ease of use. We want that our users can create a complex structure as a metal & glass railing with only two clicks: select the model + click the spline, saving on this way lot of time (and money) in the project workflow. Because this, the customizable Library Browser it's one of the more important features of the plugin. With the first version, the software will include more than 75 predefined models, including materials (for several render engines) and textures. You also can create you own models and libraries in very easy way.

Although RC will offer many advanced features, the first version is focused mainly in construction over splines (railings, fences, guardrails, piping and more). In the future we will include support for surfaces and other multi-dimensional structures. Why don't we include surface support initially ? Well, because a quality question: the plugin must solve all possible cases of uni-dimensional structures before moving to the next step. However, actually the plugin is so flexible that you can even use it for cladding using nested RC objects.  

I can also forward you, that RailClone won't be as cheap as PA. From my point of view, it's not possible for a company to provide the required quality support and continuous product updates, without a realistic pricing policy. Our intention is to develop a plugin that will evolve along many years, including new features with each release.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:28:07 PM by Itoo »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

beestee

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »
The introductory videos for Rail Clone show me that it is precisely what I am needing.  PA can be used to do "similar" things, but as you say, not nearly as easily or intuitively as I can tell RC is from your videos.

It makes complete sense to me for the price to be higher for RC because of the quality and forethought put into your tools, no complaints there.

I guess what I am really digging for is this:  Are you thinking days, weeks, or months for the first RC release?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 11:02:11 PM »
We don't like to have a rigid deadline for software products, allways there are a lot of small details to finish. However as optimist, i expect no more that two months to the final release.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

beestee

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 11:12:42 PM »
~2-3 months is good enough for me, I was fearing it would be 6+ months.

:)

Thanks a bunch Carlos!

beestee

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 05:23:58 PM »
I noticed you are right on time.

Great work!  Can't wait to give it a spin.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 05:45:39 PM »

Thanks, i hope you enjoy the plugin ! ;D

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software