Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: What about Forest 3.0 ?  (Read 15358 times)

DIMITRIS

What about Forest 3.0 ?
« on: September 03, 2007, 08:44:42 AM »
OK, I admit that I had to use a version number that would make you read this!

Anyway, I would like to talk about the future of ForestPack...
Let this post work as a wish list.

I would like to read some news and thoughts from our Admin too...!
I will sign it only if it is a piece of art!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: What about Forest 3.0 ?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 06:32:51 PM »
Hi,

Yes, it is true that we have not released major Forest updates lately. Sorry about that.

We are now working in a new plugin, that must be ready soon, and in other projects too (non 3D Studio related). As soon we finish the current projects, the next goal is Forest 3.0. Actually we have some ideas for the new version, but please, send us all suggestions you would like to see in the next release.

This is the drawback of the small companies: too much work for too few people  ;D
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

DIMITRIS

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:28:18 AM »
I would like to hear more about your new products... I am sure if they are as useful as Forest then I am very interested!

Thank you for answering, I believe Forest 3 will be a great product too.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 04:42:23 PM »

Sorry, by now i cannot give details about the new plugin. But, i hope it will be an useful tool for the 3D Studio community  :)

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

fshy2002

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 07:20:40 AM »
forest'custom mesh surpput VRayProxy?

fshy2002

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 07:27:01 AM »
hope Plane support custom mesh,and support VRayProxy

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 11:32:34 AM »
Forest 3 will use unlimited custom objects, not only one mesh as now. Planes is not longer included in the pack, because we have joined Forest and Planes in a single plugin. You may create a random distribution with Forest, and edit it using the same plugin.

About VRayProxy, as Forest creates a single mesh object for all the trees (it's much faster than using thousands of instances), is not possible to create a distribution of VRayProxies because they are independent objects. So, we have included a tool to instanciate the trees to the source custom object (that may be a a proxy or any other object). Briefly: yes, is possible to create a Forest of VRayProxy in a two step process (create + convert).

We have not a release date yet, the software is already finished but we are working now to improve the tree library. We also would like to include some pseudo-3D models, not only billboards, as Forest now supports multiple types of geometry. And believe me, is much more difficult to create an acceptable tree library that writing all the plugins from scratch.  ;D

When the libray will be ready, we must to write the documentation and tutorials (video tutorials, if possible). I know that you have been waiting Forest 3 for a long time, but we like to release the best product as we can.

If you enjoy watching it, i've uploaded a small test video. This is a single Forest object using the new animation features, and an animated wisp of grass as custom object. The scene doesn't include textures, only a color gradient for the wisp.

http://www.itoosoft.com/test/grass/

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

fshy2002

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
thx! ;D

DIMITRIS

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 09:03:52 AM »
 :o :o
Great!!!

Just to understand it better....I have a forest of 1000 trees as one mesh, and then I can transform this to 1000 instances of 1 tree mesh... Well, if this is the case, it is great because I can use Maxwell!!!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 10:27:25 AM »
That's it.

You may convert the trees in instances of the custom mesh used as model... the custom mesh may be any type (as VRay proxies), and a single Forest object may use unlimited types of custom meshes.

As advance, this is a screenshot of the new Geometry rollout:

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

fshy2002

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 04:18:43 AM »

Forest 3.0 Release Date?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 06:37:19 PM »

We would like to finish it before March end, because Max 2009 will be released for that date, but perhaps we'll need some more days.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software