Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Density/Scale falloff from spline area  (Read 3855 times)

Rawalanche

• My portfolio
Density/Scale falloff from spline area
« on: June 17, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »
Hi,

yet another trivial thing that I can't figure out in ForestPack:

I have base surface area objects are scattered on, and then Spline exclude area. I want to control scale and density falloff from edge of just the spline area . For some reason I can not comprehend, ForestPack has only global falloff option for all the areas, so if I start to increase scale or density falloff, it starts to affect scale and density not only from the edge of the spline, but also from the edges of the geometry surface itself. That makes no sense at all. How do I make forest use only single spline area to control scale/density falloff?

Thanks

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Density/Scale falloff from spline area
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:35:26 PM »
Hi,

Thought the Falloff feature uses global properties, there are separate fields for Include & Exclude values. In case of having such set-up - Surface Area (Include) & Spline Area (Exclude), by modifying the Falloff > Density / Scale > Exclude value(s), the Surface Area's borders shouldn't be affected. Attaching screen-shots.

Best regards,

Rawalanche

• My portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 03:37:51 PM »
Hi,

this has very slightly helped me, but I am still clueless.

I am not facing another problem that I just can not figure out.

I have a 1x1km terrain which I am scattering rocks on. In the middle of a terrain there is a road. I am using open spline area to exclude rocks from being on the road, and also scale exclude falloff to make rocks gradually larger from the edges of the road.

What I need to do now is to have another area, larger rectangle, which makes instances less dense and larger towards the edges of the rectangle, so that I am able to render the huge scenes. If I had same consistent density across the entire 1x1km terrain, i would run out of ram.

But here is the problem, the falloff properties are global, so I can not have my road scale falloff and another, much larger scale falloff towards the edges. Every day, I am more and more surprised how cumbersome and inflexible forestpack is.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 11:56:58 AM »
Hi,

The recordable way, when Falloff curves need to differ, would be to split it into separate Forest objects. Attaching a sample scene. Hope, you'll find it useful.

Best regards,