Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Color Edge  (Read 14011 times)

ScottM

Color Edge
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:24:15 AM »
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could please shed some light on the Color Edge plug-in for max.  The sample scene they provide is a road or pathway along a grassy field.  I noticed the road is an object that is floating above the grass object.   I have terrains that ungulate and the road must be shaped merged into the terrain object. When I did this, I could not get the plug-in to work properly.  Will the plug-in work with this scenario and if so…how?

Thanks,

Scott.

yuv

• Administrator
  • iToo Software - CEO
    • Itoo Software
Re: Color Edge
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
The Color Edge plugin ts a texture that paints a gradient over the visible edges of the geometry. For using it with a shape-merge the right way is to use the "cookie cutter" and invert mode to create different objects for the road and for the terrain.

After this you can apply ColorEdge only to the road and get the desired effect over the edges. I've attached a sample scene and the options to create it.
Daniel Quintero
Itoo Software
www.itoosoft.com
daniel@itoosoft.com

ScottM

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »

Thank you for the reply.  I missing a few steps because I attempted to take the sample road scene provided with the plugin and apply your suggestion and it did not work.  I created a spline from the road object and shape merged into the grass object. I clicked on and highlighted the shape object like you show in the shape merge panel.  I clicked on cookie cutter radio button and selected invert.  When I did this, the grass object disappeared. Also, when I attempted to apply a UVW map modifier on top of the shape merge modifier, I was not able to tile the map. So could you please provide a step by step procedure?

Thanks again.

ScottM

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:46:45 AM »
Also…..one other thing.  I looked at your sample scene and I was curious how you would set up the materials if there are bitmaps involved.

Thanks,

Scott.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 08:37:39 PM »

There are two ShapeMerge objects in the scene, because one generates the grass and other the road. So, basically create two copies of the ShapeMerge and turn on "Invert" for one of them, and off for the other.

Also, when I attempted to apply a UVW map modifier on top of the shape merge modifier, I was not able to tile the map.

You are right, for some reason the tile mapping doesn't work directly on a ShapeMerge... it seems bug/limitation of this type of object. Try appling a "Edit Mesh" modifier below the UVW Map. That seems to solve the problem.

Also…..one other thing.  I looked at your sample scene and I was curious how you would set up the materials if there are bitmaps involved.

What to do you mean exactly ?

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

ScottM

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 03:43:41 AM »
Oh…..thanks…..I got it figured out.  The sample scene provided by Yuv did not use any bitmaps.  So I used a blend material and place the Color Edge in the Mask slot.  It worked.  Thanks for getting back to me.

Scott.