Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: hard work on bridge  (Read 5584 times)

pamiqueno

hard work on bridge
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:39:41 AM »
Hi. I'm working on a bridge project. I had real problems to model it. It's a bridge with different cross sections in size (with non linear transitions) and with a 3d spline generation axis. I finally decided to use a really complex sweep object with many (70) given planar cross sections. I got a "dirty" model, hard to work with and with many problems with faces. The question is simple: can i do this with railclone (pro or lite)? I have seen the bridge tutorial, but it's a really simple bridge!!(constant cross section in size).

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: hard work on bridge
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for contacting us, that sounds like an interesting project.

RailClone uses discrete units of geometry, created using standard modelling tools, and combines them into complex one and two dimensional arrays driven by splines. These can then be combined, sequenced and selected using conditional rules to create a finished style. You can read a little more about RailClone's approach to modelling here.

Because RailClone combines and deforms existing objects rather than generating geometry from scratch, it isn't currently able to transition between different cross sections automatically like the Loft or Sweep objects.

However, depending on the project, a workaround might be to model the bridge straight and in small chunks and then use RailClone to deform it along a spline. In this example I've broken up the bridge into straight sections and transitions. The red segments are the transitions, which can be places at regular intervals or by targeting vertices on the spline. The blue sections will automatically scale between the transition pieces.

This may not suit your particular scenario and it does require a little modelling upfront, but once built making changes should be simple. A setup like this would probably require RailClone Pro, as the lite version is limited to 3 segments.

I hope that helps,

if you have further questions, please let me know.

Many thanks,

Paul

Paul Roberts
iToo Software

pamiqueno

Re: hard work on bridge
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:40:03 AM »
Paul, many thanks for your answer.
It's an interesting project, but it's becoming a nightmare.
I have sent the images and everyone seems satisfied but my "modeller proudness" is bleeding. (see images attached)
I had to use autocad to model it (!!) and the model is really dirty.
That's why i was considering railclone, but in fact, as you explain, i should still use lofts or sweeps and the problem is that transitions are too frecuent (small cross section alone/small crosssection with interpile/small crosssection with pile...etc.....until 70)

Which solution would be best to model this again and clean? :-\