Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Possible?  (Read 8945 times)

Lehm

Possible?
« on: August 26, 2012, 02:59:16 PM »
I'm working on a railing and there some things I thought railclone could do but I can't figure out. 

1.  Can corner segments be mirrored/symmetried?  Basically so that the segment is aligned to the incoming path and gets mirrored at the corner vertex and the mirrored half points in the direction of the outgoing path.

2.  Center the default segment in the middle of the path segments.  Right now all it seems to do is start at one point and then add segments until it gets to the end and the slices the end segment.  This results in the beginning and end looking different.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »
1.  Can corner segments be mirrored/symmetried?  Basically so that the segment is aligned to the incoming path and gets mirrored at the corner vertex and the mirrored half points in the direction of the outgoing path.

No, unfortunately is not possible in the current version. We have done some attemps to add this funcionality, in fact the development version includes a basic "Bevel Corner" implementation... but it must be refined yet.

2.  Center the default segment in the middle of the path segments.  Right now all it seems to do is start at one point and then add segments until it gets to the end and the slices the end segment.  This results in the beginning and end looking different.

What do you need to get exactly ? A single default segment centered in the path ? Please, post a screenshot if possible.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Lehm

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 04:03:33 AM »
1) Drat, that would be a really useful thing to have.

2) The attached image should illustrate what I mean.  The vertical lines represent the line segment.  The way it happens now is the top one.  It starts at the first point and add rail segments until it goes past the end and then slices.  The second one is how I'd like it to work.  Basically it would calculate how far it would go over and then offset the start position by half that distance.  Then slice the beginning and end.

3) Another idea crossed my mind while thinking of the default rail segment.  There are two options tile and scale.  What about a third option.  "Tile Nearest" (or something like that)  Basically find the number of whole segments that would fit into a line segment, then scale all of them to fit the space.  This way you can tile but still always end up with complete rail segments and nothing sliced off except the angle on the ends.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:52:07 AM »

Basically it would calculate how far it would go over and then offset the start position by half that distance.

Ok, i see. Currently is not possible to get this behaviour, because Slice works only at the end of the spline section. Also would be necessary to compute how many segments fit in the line before assembling the pieces. Not impossible, but it is tricky to implement considering considering every possible scenario (curved splines, randomly segments and more).

What about a third option.  "Tile Nearest" (or something like that)  Basically find the number of whole segments that would fit into a line segment, then scale all of them to fit the space.

I add it to the wishlist. We received recently a similar suggestion using Evenly segments.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software