Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Why haven't the following questions been asked, and how  (Read 5604 times)

rn216

Why haven't the following questions been asked, and how
« on: November 19, 2014, 11:34:51 PM »
I have joined the iToo software forum because, after trying out RailClone for the first time, I found a few things troublesome to understand. In addition, since I cannot find it in the documentation, I am really surprised that the following question I am about to ask have never been discussed before.
For one, unless I am misunderstanding, I think the expression editor sounds like it is a very powerful tool. However, I have not yet seen any tutorials, documentation, nor anyone discussing about what type of language does the expression editor use. Is it kind of like MaxScript, Python, full complete sentences, or broken English etc? Are there any tutorials or any one discussing about it? Secondly, What is "on current section?" Thirdly, I see that there is a zoom limit setting in the preferences, but how in the world do you zoom-in-and-out? These 3 and possibly more that may arise are my questions for the day, and I thank everyone for giving any assistance.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Why haven't the following questions been asked, and how
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your questions. I'll try to answer each in turn.

I think the expression editor sounds like it is a very powerful tool. However, I have not yet seen any tutorials, documentation, nor anyone discussing about what type of language does the expression editor use. Is it kind of like MaxScript, Python, full complete sentences, or broken English etc? Are there any tutorials or any one discussing about it?

The expressions editor uses a straightforward mathematical syntax comprising operators (+, -, *, /, etc.), constants (pi, e, etc.), RailClone's built in variables and inputs, and functions (mathematical functions that take one or more arguments and return a result). There are many built in functions, operators and constants available and these are all listed in the Expressions pane on the left hand side of the window. To see an explanation for each function, single click on it and a description and example syntax will display in the Expressions Help pane at the bottom of the interface.

There are not currently any tutorials exclusively about the using expressions but you will find expressions used in the second half of the Counting Numbers and Bridge tutorials.

We also have plans to release getting started guides for the plugin and this features is something we are considering for a future publication.

Secondly, What is "on current section?"

In RailClone a section is defined as a length of the path between two Start, End, Corner or Evenly segments. On Current Section will therefore relate to this part of the path on which a segment currently sits.

Thirdly, I see that there is a zoom limit setting in the preferences, but how in the world do you zoom-in-and-out?

To zoom in and out of the Style editor simply use your mouses scroll wheel. I'm afraid there are no keyboard shortcuts or GUI components to zoom the Construction View.

I hope that helps to answer your questions, please let me know if you need further clarification.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

rn216

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 01:53:09 PM »
Hi Paul, I really appreciate your help. Your explanation does clarify things for me. I will certainly take a look at those 2 videos, and I was afraid that zooming in/out was the mouse wheel, as my scroll wheel does not scroll any more. Also, is it possible to convert RailCLone to an Editable Poly in the Pro version?

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 01:56:46 PM »
Hi Paul, I really appreciate your help. Your explanation does clarify things for me. I will certainly take a look at those 2 videos, and I was afraid that zooming in/out was the mouse wheel, as my scroll wheel does not scroll any more. Also, is it possible to convert RailCLone to an Editable Poly in the Pro version?
Hi rn216, yes it is possible, actually in two methods- righclicking and collapsing to editable poly, or via railclone tools,- which leaves instanced segments instances, and it has some other good settings..
How on earth do you live with mouse without working scroll wheel ;) ?
Rokas